586,909 active members*
3,440 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > I had an idea for a fogbuster - just sharing.

I had an idea for a fogbuster - just sharing.

I just had this idea for a DIY fogbuster. I was watching a video of somebody making one and I immediately thought RC car carburetor. I had this stuff laying around so I stuck it together and it seems to work. The video is a timelapse of about 5 minutes. The needle valve in the carb is very responsive and you can tune the flow very easily. The motor is a gast rotary vane pump, but it's loud, so I'll probably pipe some air up through the wall from the garage.

Attachment 267220

Attachment 267218

Re: I had an idea for a fogbuster - just sharing.

Seeing the fog would have been helpful, really can't make a comment about the output of the carb.
    Stoner #1

That is pushing 1000X more coolant than a FogBuster, which defeats the whole purpose. A real FogBuster will run all day on 1-2 quarts of coolant.

Regards,
    Ray L.

You can also turn it way lower than that. The needle goes all the way to off. I didn't want the experiment to take 1000 times longer is all.

edit: Also that is a timelapse video.

Quote Originally Posted by bladehunter View Post
    Seeing the fog would have been helpful, really can't make a comment about the output of the carb.

It appears to me you're just spraying coolant, and essentially no air? The FogBuster does a good job of clearing chips because 99% of what comes out of the nozzle is a very directed stream of air, with enough pressure to blow chips away. The cooling effect comes from the air causing rapid evaporation of the coolant, making the air stream very cold. A very fine mist, by itself, won't clear chips well, if at all, and likely won't cool as well either.

Regards,
    Ray L.

The air is substantially cooler with the water on. That pump gets so hot, I actually emailed them after I hit it with the ir thermometer at 175ºF. He replied back that it was normal for it to be as high as 200ºF. So, ordinarily the air coming out of the pump is over 100 degrees. With the carb on it, the air is well below room temp. Also, the fogbuster has a nice narrow metal tube coming out of it, whereas mine has a taco bell straw. I can't build up enough pressure with a taco bell straw to compete with a fogbuster, and this is a proof of concept I scrapped together with junk in my room. The water is not pressurized by more than the 4 inches of head either. I'll try it with an air compressor tomorrow and I'll measure the air temp.

maynard i understood your first post that this is a test in progress. a real fogbuster only operates on 10-20 psi and relies on the coolant droplets to cool the part as it says on their website. keep up the good work. yours looks to work similar but it doesn't have to be exactly the same, there are lots of misters out there.

pretty sure it would work better if the airflow was the same direction as in the intended use on nitro engine. ( airflow pushed into intake side should yield vacuum to pull the liquid into the carb). right now it looks to just be gravity feed with a needle valve.

I think a standard compressor would net you better results and would not be so loud. as for the motor heating up, that is because those motors do not have any method of cooling unlike a dedicated Duty motor which has vents and fans built in.

the pump looks like its also designed for some kind of liquid, not a gas like air. :P

Cool idea, but my air tool oiler dropping olive oil every few seconds is much cheaper and simpler