586,655 active members*
2,773 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > General Off Topic Discussions > Air turbine spindle attachment, ever used one?

Air turbine spindle attachment, ever used one?

Not sure where this would fit in on the site but I figured maybe here would work.

I am curious to know how popular they are and if they are widely used? My work is pushing me to try Jig grinding with our Makino F5 and a 30,000 rpm air turbine attachment they purchased a while back.

I am pretty nervous about this as there are many things related to the machine I need to figure out.

One example I can think of off the top of my head is that every time you open or close the doors to the machining center the spindle needs to be oriented. Since it does not have thru spindle air it needs to be connected by a hose sticking out the side of the air turbine attachment. I am a bit stumped as to how I am going to get it in and orient the spindle without it rotating 360 to orient the spindle once I close the doors as the spindle is to remain locked when this is in use.

Anyways, I am starting to plow through this and am a bit lost on it but if anyone who has experience with it could chime in with some words of wisdom that would be awesome!

Thanks,
    Ryan

Re: Air turbine spindle attachment, ever used one?

Ya, thats going to be a tough one. I don't see any simple way around it other than temporarily remove the door key and stick it in the lock, then using a M99 at the end of the program, with a M0 at the beginning. Technically, this would not be against code, since you obviously are not using the ATC, but its pushing it.

Re: Air turbine spindle attachment, ever used one?

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Ya, thats going to be a tough one. I don't see any simple way around it other than temporarily remove the door key and stick it in the lock, then using a M99 at the end of the program, with a M0 at the beginning. Technically, this would not be against code, since you obviously are not using the ATC, but its pushing it.

Thanks for the input. That is exactly what I was thinking I would do.