586,685 active members*
2,637 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 5 12345

Re: JP's 5x10 plasma build

Got a shelf fabbed up for the Y axis cable tray. Got all the motor and encoder cables run and most of the air line stuff done. Waiting on wire and shaft adapters now and finalizing the design of the X/Z carriage.

I like the way you used the aluminum for the gantry. Do you think the heat will cause it to distort and change its shape?

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worked on wiring the plasma table most of today. Got most of the non I/O stuff done, just have to run power wires to the drives yet. Then I can start in on the I/O and command stuff. Wired some of the control console switches on short leads so I can get it running and tested (can be see laying on top of drives). Once console is built they will be moved out to it.

It's killing me... Is this machine making parts?

Got some of the Z axis assembly built. Still have to countersink all the holes for the linear rail from the back side and put some holes in the edge of the big plate for the side gussets yet. Almost got the power wiring done, should be on to I/O later this week along with mounting limit switches.

Question for you all.

If I build a floating Z axis for the torch, do I need a home switch for the Z axis as well or is the float switch all that is needed?

On my flame table I have an up end home switch, and a switch that detects when the torch touches the plate.

Steve

I just have the float switch on mine, but mine is a stepper, maybe different for servo I'm not to sure,,I like your bearing mounting position on the gantry, good solid job!

I have to double check, but I think I only saw input for one home switch on Z on the Candcnc card. I guess they could be wired in parallel. Maybe I'll check with Tom. Just trying to figure out if I need to build the mount on Z to hold the travel limit and a home or just travel limit.

I am using the cards from CandCNC also, so two switched is do able

Well, almost have the Z motor mount done. A bit more lightening to do and mount holes to figure out yet. Got jack screw blocks made up for all 3 of the gearbox plates to be able to fine tune them into the racks. Also got some limit switch mounts made, can just see the one in this pic. They hold the travel limit and the home switch for that axis. Still have to machine up the ramps that will get bolted to each end to trip the switches (only one end for the home switches).

Did get a bunch more wiring done, and some redone (had to change so my estop switches 2nd set of NC contacts kill main power to the servo drives). Should be wiring the controller to the drives this week. Hoping to have X and Y moving in a day or two if not just through the direct PC connection to the drives for tuning. Its getting there.

Next up is to finish the limits and homes, machine up the Z plates and torch mount, and the carriage will also be getting some 1/4" aluminum on both sides for gusset and to start the enclosure.

Got a bunch more done in the control cabinet today. Even had Y1 and Y2 servos turning (by means of the drives tuning program). Still have to hook up the drives to the controller and finish the limit/home wiring. My Y1 had a tick sound to it, I'll probably have to pull that gearbox apart and find out whats going on with it, Y2 was silent (neither is pushed up into the racks yet).

The mess of wires in the top middle are to switches that will eventually be in the control console, for now they are just temp wired in for testing.

It's looking really well in there, very tidy job all round!

Gantry wiring is starting to be a mess, but I think I have everything run this far. Once I finish the Z carriage I can finish running a few wires from here to there. The terminal blocks have already saved me hours of frustration in redoing a few things, its soo easy to change stuff with these things, rather than running whole new wires or extending too short of long run wires etc.

I would suggest that you design a complete dust free cover for that end. As you probably know, the dust that comes off a plasma cutter is still metal. Having it settle on electronics is a bad recipe. From the looks of the rest of the build, I feel like an idiot for mentioning it and I am sure you have a plan.

Someone mentioned the dust from a plasma cutter in another thread when I was researching building mine. I am glad they did that. I would say my stuff is 98% enclosed and that still needs some care or maintenance with an air gun . All while unplugged of course.
    Lee

Yep, covers are on my to do list, both ends of gantry and the Z carriage. I might put them off a little bit, till my press brake is operational, but they will be done before too long.

Well, got the carriage gusset plates built and wires run up that far. Got limit switch ramps and over travel stops built as well for X and Y. Should have most of the Z plate built tomorrow and hopefully start moving X and Y by G code and start tuning by tomorrow afternoon as well.

JP your table is looking awesome. I'm glad I decided to look around befor I bought a table. I kept on thinking this is something we could build in the shop and seeing your table really sealed the deal for us to build one in house. I'm new to this type of a build so I have a few question if you don't mine answering few of my questions. I don't think you ever said what size the gantry channel was. I was also wondering how far apart the trucks are on the Y axis. I would like to thank you for sharing your build with us it has helped me out big time.

I copied Magma Joe's gantry build a bit, and used 12" x .3" aluminum channel.

His thread; http://www.cnczone.com/forums/dynato...792-forum.html

Some of the Z plate done today, have it mostly figured out in my head. Left side is floating torch holder, right side will be for an air scribe down the road.

Page 3 of 5 12345