586,414 active members*
3,273 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > Turning 2d lines into toolpaths!?!

Turning 2d lines into toolpaths!?!

want to do something simple in Gibbs, and I am having a hell of a time.. Gibbs is awesome if you want it to do everything nearly automatic, but, unless you are programming for the 4 axis monster, it seems to fall short..

How do you select a group of lines and turn them into toolpaths? I never use it for this normally, but its bugging me. I use Gibbs on fancy machines with alot of contouring, it works great for that.. Usually on easy stuff like this I go to bobcad or something and just copy/paste the G-code at the end, but, I have contoured an item, and I want to cut it out along its contour, not do the zigzag toolpaths, because its a waste of time.

I have an older Kitamura I am using for this, so its not the fastest thing and I don't want a zillion lines just to cut out a perimeter.

I looked at the help, and it doesn't seem to work. don't know what I am missing, but, out of all the things in Gibbscam, this is the only thing that has NOT been super-easy lol..

If you want to use CAD then take a look at:
    CNC Programming Software Tools
    Its low cost and great for 2d drawings in polylines.
    Cheers
    Bob A

Your lines and arcs have to be "chained", connected and terminated from one to the next to make a contour.

Re: Turning 2d lines into toolpaths!?!

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Your lines and arcs have to be "chained", connected and terminated from one to the next to make a contour.
    correct. draw your part as it looks on the print. if you need to you can apply partial feature cuts by dragging the white balloon to the beginning termination and the black balloon to the ending termination of where you want the cut to stop