586,317 active members*
3,447 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > How do I get the ballscrew perfectly upright?

How do I get the ballscrew perfectly upright?

I built a 3D printer that uses a 20mm ballscrew. The ballscrew is connected to a Nema 23 motor. I have the BK and BF bearings.

Sorry I am not at the moment at my PC with the designs so here is a picture I used for another question

I have a laser cut and bent bracket on each side of the ballscrew and the bearings attach to the brackets. The brackets sit in an aluminium frame from 40mm x 40mm extruded aluminium

I would like to know how to get the ballscrew perfectly upright. Is there some kind of technique? Some kind of tool that exists? I designed the brackets so that the bearings (bearing casings) can move a little bit when assembling the machine and also because the bearings castings dimensions might be a little off from perfect. Also the bending of the steel might be a little off and as you know everything might be a little off.

I thought maybe I can design something that hangs from a rope, maybe a cylinder and I hang that above the ballscrew. I then move the ballscrew so that it doesn't touch the insides of the cylinder so then it must be perfectly upright. Kind of same idea as those hanging weights you use when building an airplane to make sure everything is correct.

Attachment 266628

Quote Originally Posted by taskman View Post
    I built a 3D printer that uses a 20mm ballscrew. The ballscrew is connected to a Nema 23 motor. I have the BK and BF bearings.

Sorry I am not at the moment at my PC with the designs so here is a picture I used for another question

I have a laser cut and bent bracket on each side of the ballscrew and the bearings attach to the brackets. The brackets sit in an aluminium frame from 40mm x 40mm extruded aluminium

I would like to know how to get the ballscrew perfectly upright. Is there some kind of technique? Some kind of tool that exists? I designed the brackets so that the bearings (bearing casings) can move a little bit when assembling the machine and also because the bearings castings dimensions might be a little off from perfect. Also the bending of the steel might be a little off and as you know everything might be a little off.

I thought maybe I can design something that hangs from a rope, maybe a cylinder and I hang that above the ballscrew. I then move the ballscrew so that it doesn't touch the insides of the cylinder so then it must be perfectly upright. Kind of same idea as those hanging weights you use when building an airplane to make sure everything is correct.

Attachment 266628
    It's more important to have the ballscrew perfectly parallel to yoy linear bearings, then you can get the entire z assembly normal to your x-y table.