586,920 active members*
2,685 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V25 - Several Problems... not sure how to solve.

Hybrid View

Re: V25 - Several Problems... not sure how to solve.

So now let's look at shifted holes.

2) this one is tricky as it is an on/off thing that happens occasionally and I have not been able to pin-point it to something specific.
    Shifted holes.
    Again this is inconsistent but far more worrisome due to its unpredictable nature.
    It happens with the script I had sent you.
    Run as an entire program in one file: the drilled holes are offset on the X Axis from what they're supposed to be (looks good both on the drawing, tool paths and the simulation though).
    When I post the features individually it works without fail though.
    Has happened a few times to this day and I can't nail it to anything specific. Has actually ruined a few pieces....

Here are the hole locations based on your drawing you send me relative to part origin:

Hole 1 X10.091 Y -6.68
    Hole 2 X6.949 Y-50.604
    hole 3 X4.182 Y-95.009

Ok so now let's look at the posted code from the script you sent me. (In this case when we say script we are talking about the g -code )

N430 X10.091 Y-6.680
    N455 X6.949 Y-50.604
    N479 X4.182 Y-95.009

What you find is the hole locations match the drawing locations. So the problem you are having is not the drawing the code BobCAD is creating. BobCAD will post the locations of holes as defined by your drawing.. So what's going on here, why is it that some times you holes are shifted slightly?

I am not sure but I have 2 ideas.

1) You did not pick your part origin correctly
    2) When you setup Zero on the machine it was off slightly.

Let's look at first possibility. When choosing your part origin in BobCAD either when running the stock wizard, or after when you edit your machine setup and edit your origin. When you go into selection mode for your origin "snaps" are turned on. When you click on a point it picks up that snap location, right all well and good. One "snaps" that is turned on that can be problematic is "screen position" Now I am not sure why you would want to "sketch" a origin, but because it's , it's possible. So maybe what is happens some times is you think you picked a point, but really you picked a screen posting that is very close to the point you wanted for your origin.

Let's look at the second possibility, this one could be your hiccup, depending on setup and work flow. I can't say this is where you are going wrong, but if you holes / geometry are shifted the defined zero on the machine could be the issue.

If you can show me a part program and g-code program where the hole drawing locations and posted codes do not match I can help you further on this issue. Otherwise I have to chalk this up to user error somewhere... I don't say that to offend you, it's just the most likely reason why you are having this problem.
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Re: V25 - Several Problems... not sure how to solve.

Quote Originally Posted by aldepoalo View Post
    So now let's look at shifted holes.

1) You did not pick your part origin correctly
    2) When you setup Zero on the machine it was off slightly.

Let's look at first possibility. When choosing your part origin in BobCAD either when running the stock wizard, or after when you edit your machine setup and edit your origin. When you go into selection mode for your origin "snaps" are turned on. When you click on a point it picks up that snap location, right all well and good. One "snaps" that is turned on that can be problematic is "screen position" Now I am not sure why you would want to "sketch" a origin, but because it's , it's possible. So maybe what is happens some times is you think you picked a point, but really you picked a screen posting that is very close to the point you wanted for your origin.

Let's look at the second possibility, this one could be your hiccup, depending on setup and work flow. I can't say this is where you are going wrong, but if you holes / geometry are shifted the defined zero on the machine could be the issue.

If you can show me a part program and g-code program where the hole drawing locations and posted codes do not match I can help you further on this issue. Otherwise I have to chalk this up to user error somewhere... I don't say that to offend you, it's just the most likely reason why you are having this problem.
    Al,

Assuming I'd set the wrong Zero on the MACHINE - then EVERYTHING should be at an offset - shouldn't it?
    At least according to my logic.

Now this is the reality I'm talking about though:
    Attachment 266690
    The hole row at which I'm pointing the pen is as it is supposed to be...
    The upper row is what happened when I ran the programm the first time!

Now I chose to post ONLY the drill feature in a separate file - and without ANY change to the machine side or to the settings in BobCAD I ran the individual file again on the same part (the part was ruined anyhow, so I didn't care).
    I did not change Zero, I didn't move the stock, I didn't change ANYTHING AT ALL, aside from re-posting only the drill feature to a new file and ran this.
    When I did this, the holes were indeed made in the CORRECT position.

mind you that the first feature (originally the program only had two features, the basic pockets and the holes) the pockets were placed perfectly...

I really do not understand why this happens.
    Especially as it's an on / off thing. but EVERY time it happend it was with a drilling thing - never with anything else.