586,133 active members*
3,928 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach 1100 Passive Probe Calibration Issue.
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Tormach 1100 Passive Probe Calibration Issue.

I am glad that you are good to go now. Excellent! BTW you will be chasing the probe adjustment screws around forever to get rid of error using the tormach screw turn method. I did it once and thought wow this is stupid. Using an indicator is the only way to nail it. I dialed it in using the same procedure that I used for my Haimer probe and was much happier with the results. If you can keep the passive probe clean they will serve you well- oh yeah and don't break the tip off like I have done several times. Stupid chips and coolant in the jog shuttle can make axis moves a little quicker than you anticipate :-).

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    I am glad that you are good to go now. Excellent! BTW you will be chasing the probe adjustment screws around forever to get rid of error using the tormach screw turn method. I did it once and thought wow this is stupid. Using an indicator is the only way to nail it. I dialed it in using the same procedure that I used for my Haimer probe and was much happier with the results. If you can keep the passive probe clean they will serve you well- oh yeah and don't break the tip off like I have done several times. Stupid chips and coolant in the jog shuttle can make axis moves a little quicker than you anticipate :-).
    Hi pickled,
    What is the procedure you use for probe calibration using a DTI/dial indicator?
    Bevin

I just put a 3/4" collet in my lathe, inserted the probe, put a high quality test indicator on the compound and centered the probe tip.

I'm not sure the Tormach probe offers this but I have a connector right off my probe so that the cable can be disconnected and allow the probe to rotate freely with the spindle. I simply mount it in the spindle, unplug the cable and the set a .0005 dial indicator on a mag base via the table and adjust until I get zero run out. The adjustment screws on mine are very sensitive so it can take a little bit to get it right but once there it's good until I jam it into something and break a tip.

What speed to you guys probe at? I have been testing from 5 to 20IPM. Not sure what is best.
    Donald

I am surprised that the probe doesn't dislodge with the pressure of the DTI point. Must try it.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dneisler View Post
    What speed to you guys probe at? I have been testing from 5 to 20IPM. Not sure what is best.
    35 on the first and 25 on the second tap.

How do you tell a torch two different speeds? I have only seen the one box that changes it.
    Donald

I'm not a Tormach owner. I run Mach 3 with the MSM screen sets. It allows for a slower second probe speed.

Ahh, I actually installed MSM on my Torch over the weekend and got the free version working. I like it so far, but I have not done much or even machined anything yet with it.
    Donald

Page 2 of 2 12