586,307 active members*
3,385 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Any information about these PYRAMID tools?
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Any information about these PYRAMID tools?

5ipm at 5krpm for me it is beyond fast, but since it works for you then no prob,
    I thought these bits are only good for pcb!
    but if that is the case and you use them with success, what about the pyramids ones? they are all same cost
    you might agree with me that their tip should last much better than the ones you are using but would it give a better cut?
    can you share some photos of your engraving using this tools?
    thanks for your input and the link

Attachment 266550

This is one of them done with the single flute bits 30 degree carbide cutters.

The 3 flute variety wont cut as nicely as the single flute because the cutting edge angles arent as sharp, I think these may work well in very hard materials maybe, I dont know as I have never used them. the three flutes would be better as you could raise the feedrate as it has 3 flutes instead of 1.

Everything is a trade off, shallower angles on the cutting edge will make the tool last longer but it wont cut as cleanly and will take more spindle power, sharp cutting edges are the opposite etc

I use these single flute cutters to cut from .010 to .060 depending on what I am using it for.
    mike sr

Look out for Nine9 engraving cutter. Part # 99619-V060-03K-32 NC2032. Has a reversible insert and works a treat on everything from Ally to acrylic. I run it at 20000 RPM and feed ( For Hard Plastics ) 5000 pm. Even on plastics going to a depth of 2mm I would be looking at doing 3 - 4 passes more for ally or brass. Cutter life is pretty good barring accidents but I`ve found a squirt of WD40 on metals works wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    Attachment 266550

This is one of them done with the single flute bits 30 degree carbide cutters.

The 3 flute variety wont cut as nicely as the single flute because the cutting edge angles arent as sharp, I think these may work well in very hard materials maybe, I dont know as I have never used them. the three flutes would be better as you could raise the feedrate as it has 3 flutes instead of 1.

Everything is a trade off, shallower angles on the cutting edge will make the tool last longer but it wont cut as cleanly and will take more spindle power, sharp cutting edges are the opposite etc

I use these single flute cutters to cut from .010 to .060 depending on what I am using it for.
    thats very interesting
    however i still feel lost because there is now at least 4 completely different types of engraving bits,
    the traditional ones like the Kyocera, pyramid bits, pcb engraving and the single flute bits you are using
    add to the list those new carbide inserts, i have seen them even locally but they are very expensive (no idea what is the point then!)

it would be good to know what every bit is designed to be used WITH (even the manufacturer never tell anything)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx-ndeBo8Ng
    please take a look at that video, I have no idea what this cutter is (the engraving one) but it seems from its geometry (if you can pause the video on the right time) like the one you are using,

by the way did you ever tried to engrave deeper using these cutters ?? it would be very interesting

I still dont think the multi passing is a good idea for the tip life

Quote Originally Posted by Routerfiend View Post
    Look out for Nine9 engraving cutter. Part # 99619-V060-03K-32 NC2032. Has a reversible insert and works a treat on everything from Ally to acrylic. I run it at 20000 RPM and feed ( For Hard Plastics ) 5000 pm. Even on plastics going to a depth of 2mm I would be looking at doing 3 - 4 passes more for ally or brass. Cutter life is pretty good barring accidents but I`ve found a squirt of WD40 on metals works wonders.
    those are carbide inserts right?
    if you are using this, can you please send an ebay link for it?
    how wide is its tip?
    thank you, appreciate your input

Hi didn`t get it on Ebay.

Advanced Carbide Tooling Ltd,
    Sketchley Meadows Business Park, Hinckley, Leicestershire, LE10 3EZ
    Telephone: 01455 234000. Fax: 01455 234022. Email: [email protected]

It was years ago that we bought it and it`s seen a fair bit of use and I`m still on the original insert albeit the other end ) I think we paid something like £100 for it but don`t hold me to that.

Here`s a link to the company although I think it`s a U.S. brand

Engraving tools | Advanced Carbide Tooling

Tip is approx .45

Those inserts are quite interesting however what I have seen in reality was the one flute design, which I suppose give much narrower tip for small letter engraving, the ones you send have very wide tip
    but can you please tell me how much was the one insert for? I could not find the prices anywhere

Thank you

Hi Graphicman
    Sorry but it was too long ago. If you email the company they will be able to give you a current price and you could also enquire as to their entire range of inserts to see if there is anything more suitable for your needs. You don`t say where in the world you are ? They might also be able to put you in touch with your local supplier and then the price may be less than in the U.K. where we get ripped off on prices for just about everything and anything.

Ok then better send them an email for prices, thanks

Page 2 of 2 12