586,983 active members*
3,596 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

casters on stand?

hey everyone, has anyone used caters for the Tormach 1100 stand?

I'd love some portability as I have limited shop space.

If anyone has used them and can recommend some caters that would be great.

Re: casters on stand?

You want it to be portable, keep a pallet jack parked underneath it. One stroke of the handle, and you can tow it where-ever you want.

Compare that to leveling casters, where you have to crawl under and rotate each one until the wheel lifts it off. Not anywhere as convenient.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    You want it to be portable, keep a pallet jack parked underneath it. One stroke of the handle, and you can tow it where-ever you want.

Compare that to leveling casters, where you have to crawl under and rotate each one until the wheel lifts it off. Not anywhere as convenient.
    +1

Leveling casters are a giant PITA.

Great point guys, thanks, much better way to go.

Keep in mind that you will likely have to level and tram up the mill every time you moved it if you wanted to maintain the best accuracy. I would prefer to move the mill with a pallet jack but then you have to store the pallet jack somewhere too.

A pallet jack is great if you have the room, but I don't so I installed casters like these:

Foot Master

with the ratcheting handles which makes it a little easier to raise/lower the mill. The model I bought had a central tapped mounting hole that was the same thread form that is used on the Tormach leveling feet.

Mike

How well do they work? Is the pad metal or plastic? Do you just screw the foot up in the body to roll?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilmax View Post
    I would prefer to move the mill with a pallet jack but then you have to store the pallet jack somewhere too.
    My pallet jack lives underneath the mill (in the lowered position so the mill feet are on the ground). The handle sticks out maybe 6" from one end of the mill. I never even notice it is there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1125.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	277470Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1123.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	277474
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    My pallet jack lives underneath the mill (in the lowered position so the mill feet are on the ground). The handle sticks out maybe 6" from one end of the mill. I never even notice it is there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1125.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	277470Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1123.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	277474
    That seems like an awesome idea! Hope I had seen it 4 years ago. Today, even those two sides are taken. Of course I could reshuffle, but I may need to take some stuff out from the garage. I don't know... Maybe something like the garage door? heh heh heh
    I document my CNC Experience at CNC Dude's Youtube channel. Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by shaun View Post
    How well do they work? Is the pad metal or plastic? Do you just screw the foot up in the body to roll?
    They work just fine, no problems at all. I wouldn't want to use them on a daily basis but for the few times a year I need to move my mill they are great. The pad that the caster rests on when the wheels are raised off the floor is some sort of dense elastomeric. The ratchets are used to lower the wheel until it raises the mill up high enough to clear the pad. Note that the company (and all reputavble references I've seen) recommend that the casters should be rated so that just two of them can carry the full load.

Mike

Intestine caster find! The last picture on that page has an orange dial to adjust the foot up and down which is the style I used on my x3 and on my 12x37 lathe and they are a huge PITA to keep getting a wrench in and over, in and over, in and over. Thr ratchet likely changes the game and makes it MUCH MUCH easier. Don't skimp, but the ratcheting type!

We use air bearings to move very heavy (2 ton) pieces of equipment around. If your shop floor is fairly smooth with no large cracks four round air bearings would do the trick. Hovair is one company that sells them. Basically you attach the shop air hose to the quick connect line and push the equipment around in any direction with almost no resistance. The only caution is due to the low friction it is very easy to get it moving, but you have momentum working against you when trying to stop it quickly.

+1 on the pallet jack. It sits on the coolant tank side if the machine. Just about everything else in the shop is on casters including work benches so it's easy to roll everything out of the way and then move the pallet jack. My location is marked so putting it back doesn't cause any issues.