586,299 active members*
3,895 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Series 3 upgrade just installed now Z overshoots 45 thou going down

Series 3 upgrade just installed now Z overshoots 45 thou going down

Just installed Series 2 to 3 upgrade and am still running the origonal Mach 3 which has always landed spot on.......

now Z axis overshoots 45 thou going down........and at 10 ipm

First thought is to check voltage to brake.......wonder what to look for there ?

Thanks, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DLawrence View Post
    Just installed Series 2 to 3 upgrade and am still running the origonal Mach 3 which has always landed spot on.......

now Z axis overshoots 45 thou going down........and at 10 ipm

First thought is to check voltage to brake.......wonder what to look for there ?

Thanks, Dave
    Do you rapid to your finish dimension or do you rapid close and feed to finish?
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Re: Series 3 upgrade just installed now Z overshoots 45 thou going down

When you upgrade to Series III, does Tormach give you a new configuration file for the motors and MACH3? On Tormach's MACH3 the configuration stuff is hidden from the user. I ask out of curiosity as I have never attempted the Series III upgrade, but it seems hard to believe that a completely new motor topology (bipolar steppers to tri phase steppers) can utilize the very same acceleration curves and such without any kind of effect.
    I document my CNC Experience at CNC Dude's Youtube channel. Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by CNC-Dude View Post
    When you upgrade to Series III, does Tormach give you a new configuration file for the motors and MACH3? On Tormach's MACH3 the configuration stuff is hidden from the user. I ask out of curiosity as I have never attempted the Series III upgrade, but it seems hard to believe that a completely new motor topology (bipolar steppers to tri phase steppers) can utilize the very same acceleration curves and such without any kind of effect.
    Series III upgrade includes motors, drivers, a new machine controller board, and a software disk to install. No idea where to look in the files to confirm what kind of changes got made, but pretty clearly the old series II software was updated. And if you stick with Mach3, you get a 4th axis driver and motor out of the deal, as Tormach only wants the machine controller returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Do you rapid to your finish dimension or do you rapid close and feed to finish?
    Rapid to close then G1 F10 to finnish. It did the overshoot several times yesterday ,

, you get a 4th axis driver and motor out of the deal, as Tormach only wants the machine controller returned.
    Yeah the 4th axis remains a conventional 4 wire bipolar stepper and driver. I already had 4th axis installed so i didnt gain anything there although I now have 3 good bipolar steppers ,and onewith the the more usefull double ended shaft.

Its hard to say what all the installation disk changed, the splash banner loudly shouts SERIES 3 , all functions and graphics seem the same otherwise .

Dave

In post 1 you imply you are still running with the old series 2 software, whereas in post 5 you imply you have change to the series 3 updated software, which is it.?
    Phil

How are you measuring the 45 thousandth overshoot? Is it showing up on the DRO?

I think you will find that the z axis brake only functions when the power to the machine is off.

Phil

Tormach tech says the brake is spring loaded and always clamped on, except when the steppers are holding the head in place or travelling it , then the 70 vdc releases the brake for free travel.
    He disallowed the idea of a dragging or non releasing brake bc that always causes UNDERTRAVEL with respect to the target dro reading. The lever on top of the Z stepper is for manually camming the brake into released state..... and by pushing it back slightly , aprox 5 degrees it clicks into a detent and the machine can be tested "brake free" . Before I could do any testing it started working properly and worked properly all yesterday. Thanks much for all the comments
    Dave

Tormach tech says the brake is spring loaded and always clamped on, except when the steppers are holding the head in place or travelling it , then the 70 vdc releases the brake for free travel.
    Which is when you turn the machine on. The steppers are powered up when you turn the machine on.

Phil