586,129 active members*
2,860 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

N00b with silly questions

I'm looking into my first lathe. Either the harbor freight 7x10 or 7x12.
    From what I can gather it's decent for the price.

What is the largest piece I can grab from the outside on either of these machines? I know it's a 7x10 but I can't see that jaw opening that large. I think I need something to go 4 or 5" as I can't imagine doing anything larger.

How is this unit for tapping/threading? I do mainly aluminum work and have a plasma cnc. So my goal in mind is to learn how to use this and eventually convert it to cnc for small bungs and other parts to aid in my fabrication parts. And I can't find a solid cnc kit, but I guess I have plenty of time before going that route.

And any good resources out there for how to learn how to use one? Speeds and feeds and tooling etc?

Any help is appreciated.

Re: N00b with silly questions

YouTube is your friend for learning how to use a lathe. That's where I learned the basics, I much prefer to see someone doing something than just reading about it. Check out mrpete222, myfordboy, and doubleboost.

You can squeeze a 5in chuck on that bad boy or spend the time setting up a strangely shaped part on a faceplate. You can use the reverse jaws on the stock 3in chuck, but it's a bit scary having a larger piece seemingly barely held in by the last step in the jaws. The part has to be relatively short as well with the stock 3in.

For tapping/threading it's decent enough, I've never used any other lathe so I guess I'm not too experienced. You can put a tap in a drill chuck and tap by hand (spin the chuck and feed in with the tailstock handwheel). You can also rig up a small die holder for the tailstock for threading.

Check craigslist for mini lathes, I just picked up a 7x10 for $200 the other day for a CNC conversion. I've seen somewhere between 4-5 machines this year in that size/price range. You have to be on top of your game though, they go within a couple hours of posting in my area.

You wouldn't happen to have (or once had) another hobby relating to amphibians? Your username seems familiar.

Sorry if this is late reply , maybe someone else is looking for this info and it will help, the largest piece seems to be 3.5" as you can see in this video , there just isn't any more room if you need to part it or turn the piece down
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZIJR9OFFOU

there is some tapping vids
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFqbjcN5VZY

Great, i will look at them. Thank you!