586,655 active members*
3,906 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Containers for chip/coolant recovery

Containers for chip/coolant recovery

Hi,

I am looking for suggestions on what to use as chip/coolant recovery bins to use under our Haas chip conveyors.

We currently use 2 plastic bins. We drill holes in the top one to allow the collant to drain into the second one. We buy these at local reno store but they are cheap and often break.

I am hoping to get a more commercial and durable product.

Any ideas ?

What do you guys use ?

Thanks,

Pharkas

Several options. The main suppliers should have metal hoppers, some are self dumping, with and without casters. Uline has some heavy plastic hoppers on wheels I think. If you are worried about breakage, don't be cheap. If you are trying to recover 1 gallon or less of coolant from a cubic yard of chips, you might want to rethink your value system. Cycle your chip conveyor when coolant is off if possible.

For oil recovery for screw machine chips we'd drill 4 holes in the side of a 55gal drum and a lid. When the barrel was full, put the lid on, wire it, and turn the barrel on its side on one of those dollies that lets you draw fluids from a barrel via a spigot.
    Put a 5gal bucket under the lip and let it drain for a few days. (at $5/gal for cutting oil back then, it was well worth it). I could easily get 5gal or more from a barrel of brass chips.

Too bad you can't have the chips flow up through the coolant after it's been sitting, and act like a skimmer for the tramp oil....

Global has lots of plastic containers for various uses. Their catalog could give some ideas for variations on your theme... which seems like a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Several options. The main suppliers should have metal hoppers, some are self dumping, with and without casters. Uline has some heavy plastic hoppers on wheels I think. If you are worried about breakage, don't be cheap. If you are trying to recover 1 gallon or less of coolant from a cubic yard of chips, you might want to rethink your value system. Cycle your chip conveyor when coolant is off if possible.
    Good point about recovery efficiency. I was thinking plastic because they're relatively inexpensive compared to steel... and if you don't beat 'em up they'll last for a long time (if you don't buy the cheap ones).

A bit more info....

My main concern is keeping the floor clean. Recycled oil qty does not really matter.

We use small plastic containers on each cnc, which are then dumped in big metal containers which are then sent for recycling. If the chips are
    Not drained, a coolant pond forms under these metal bins.

Pharkas

Quote Originally Posted by Pharkas View Post
    A bit more info.........a coolant pond forms under these metal bins. Pharkas
    We found he easiest way around this was to put the big bin on blocks with small tubs under the places where the coolant drained out.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Re: Containers for chip/coolant recovery

ha guys cheapest way to keep coolant clean use oil skimmer oil skimmer, tramp oil skimmer, cnc skimmer