586,410 active members*
2,927 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Y axis servo motor gets hot

Does the Y axis have hydraulic counter balance? If yes, check that it's working correctly.

I know the first high speed Mori horizontals had a problem overheating the y axis motors, they actually came out with a retrofit to install the Fanuc fan shroud around the motors. Might want to look in to that, I know Fanuc still supplies them as I just installed one on a retrofit package at work.

Quote Originally Posted by thebodger View Post
    Does the Y axis have hydraulic counter balance? If yes, check that it's working correctly.
    Does not have a hydraulic counter balance, just the motor brake.

underthetire thanks for your answers.
    I want to lift the spindle head up by itself to see if it will slide down freely and work on adjusting the gibs if does not come down.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Appears to confirm tuning problem, gain too high?
    Al.
    I will also look into adjusting the gain.
    I am wondering if the gain is high because the motor is removed and has no load. Under normal condition this motor holds the whole spindle head.

Normally the motor should not vibrate or get hot when disconnected from the machine, if this is a vertical axis and there is considerable back feeding force, then the axis also requires proper counterbalance in place.
    I am wondering if the original tuning was to overcome this back feed force?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Dont recall parameters on a 15, but i would first look at " load inertia" parameter setting... Uncounterbalanced machines ive seen often had a fairly large number in there(usually must be zero if motor is uncoupled).

Reducing load inertia ratio parameter usually softens response at short,slow,small movements, often crank it up a bit for stickslip issues. Reducing this a bit *might* cool the servo a bit, at expense of following error increase...

It sounds like you may have a serious stickslip thing going on, with no counterbalance the slide should drop like a rock- machine destroying type of thing- surprised the slide didnt drop with motor removed(assuming it was blocked so it couldnt drop much at all).
    Is the way lube working properly? Ive gotten a few sticky machines to free up by adding like a half teaspoon of tungsten disulfide powder well mixed with a quart of way lube, dumped into the tank, pump the heck out of the lube... It leaves a film behind slick as snot- use at own risk, i havent had any issues with plugging any injectors or anything as the powder is submicron... I bought it here: Lower Friction stuff stinks like puke and dog crap, but only up close, sure frees up sticky sliding surfaces, seen currents drop from >80% to 25 in minutes, and stays there months later, running standard oils after the one time additive... Was never a believer in snakeoil claims, but i hurt the 2nd synchro in my mustang at the track powershifting, put up with a balky 2nd for a year, was going to get the $ynchro kit from ford, but a buddy suggested first just try royal purple atf... 80 bucks, what the heck... 15 minutes after the change, 2nd was better than ever, felt like a new tranny, shifting at 6k no problem, no more 'lockouts' 3 years later still fine... Some of the synthetics/additives these days are pretty slick (haha)

Quote Originally Posted by tc429 View Post
    Dont recall parameters on a 15, but i would first look at " load inertia" parameter setting... Uncounterbalanced machines ive seen often had a fairly large number in there(usually must be zero if motor is uncoupled).

Reducing load inertia ratio parameter usually softens response at short,slow,small movements, often crank it up a bit for stickslip issues. Reducing this a bit *might* cool the servo a bit, at expense of following error increase...

It sounds like you may have a serious stickslip thing going on, with no counterbalance the slide should drop like a rock- machine destroying type of thing- surprised the slide didnt drop with motor removed(assuming it was blocked so it couldnt drop much at all).
    Thanks for the hint.
    It looks like it sticks, I ordered the tungsten disulphide powder it sold by the pound, you said half of tea spoon - it will last me forever.
    Am still working on the machine got the ball screw out and I am checking it out.

Page 2 of 2 12