586,112 active members*
2,956 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Any advice on the Flatness and Allignment of the Mill Table, can I do anything
Page 6 of 6 456

Re: Any advice on the Flatness and Allignment of the Mill Table, can I do anything

I cut a piece of 5/8 thick steel plate 10" X 7" and slid it in from the side under and around to the front, to spread the front center temporary"3rd leg" weight out.

There was just room to slide the end if a slim crowbar in and raise the base casting enough to get a piece if .250 squair keystock in centered.

Measuring both sides with feelers revealed an astounding 100 thou difference........... I am letting it "rest" 48 hours in the three point position ,

hopefully some of the twist will spring out of the base.

I got an asortment pack of about a dozen 6" X 10" stainless steel shims from MSC they start at .001 and go up to .032

Going to try cutting them into an L shape about an inch wide , each leg 3" long

Dave Lawrence

Re: Any advice on the Flatness and Allignment of the Mill Table, can I do anything

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    I agree. Great thread. The thread also shows that ear plugs can be used to cheaply protect your brain from coolant and chips. Something to that effect.
    Yes I wear earplugs when I go to sleep. I remember things better..... or something to that effect.

I ordered a pack of precision brass shims off Amazon and cut them with a 3/8" center notch to slide the shims around the bolt.
    Used a hand crowbar like tactical keychain used on his video. Worked great but I stopped before I got it perfect. It is currently good enough for my work.

Quote Originally Posted by adamvs View Post
    Naw, I'm glad this thread is still alive because it's something that plagues a lot of us. I checked mine, and thought, ok out by .0015 at the most, not too bad. But after reading this I now know it could be tuned a lot better. If there any pics around of the front support, third leg, I, for one, would like to see'em. Also would like to know what you used for shims.

Page 6 of 6 456