586,129 active members*
2,945 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 14 of 14 4121314

Re: $32 CO2 Laser Controller

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf_K View Post
    Has anyone tried this eBay item:

Usbcnc 3 Axis Stepper Motor USB Driver Board Controller Laser Board for CNC E | eBay

Would insert picture but for some reason it does not work.
    Yep, did it work, NOPE! went arduino mega 2560, RAMPS 1.4. works a treat.. using inkscape 0.91 and TurnkeyLaser Extension, and pronterface for uploads. hacked the TurnkeyLaser extension to turn on air assist if the check box it on. and a beep at the end of the cut.
    Robi

Quote Originally Posted by hububalli View Post
    Coming soon! Pimp my K40

Featuring:

Honeycomb bed
    Air assist
    built a honey comb table (no Z adjustment yet, just using granite blocks to raise to proper level)

using a Select Comfort air bed compressor for air assist. Silicon tubing run through a ebay 10mmx15mm drag chain.

laser guide pointer
    Still working on getting the 3d printer going to print a air nozzle with line lasers holders. Buddy printed a thing-a-verse one that works well at the moment.

New control panel
    Interior lighting
    Single power point operation
    2.7mm luan plywood control panel w/ graphic LCD + keylock

Interior Lighting == 12v white SMD5050 LED tape powered by 12v wall wart (which also supplies 12v to the relay for the next item.)
    4 pieces around window, and 1 piece on top just behind the lid above the y limit switch.
    American DJ remote power relay power strip. Plug 0 is hot all the time, and plug 1 thru 8 are switched by using the mosfetts on the RAMPS1.4 using the negative leg off the 12v wall wart. DB9 connecter on the back of the K40 with pin 1 is 12vdc+, pin 2 thru 9 is the relays for plug 1 thru 8. M106 turns on plug 1 (air assist) right now Plug 2 thru 8 are on as soon as the laser is turned on (tied to 12vdc negative).

Coolant flow sensor

:banana:
    I have the return hose above the water level so I can hear it splash into the bucket for right now.
    still looking for a sensor to do this with.
    Robi

Sounds like a good system. Some of us can handle the wiring fine, others the software, some no experience with either. A very detailed post keeping in mind the variety of builders experience might help a lot of people. This was a popular thread for a while but no one actually finished an arduino conversion and reported back on that.

I use a cheap air brush compressor for my air and 3D printed a nozzle from thingiverse also. I took some harder plastic hose and wrapped it tightly around a cylinder and then heated it a little and then when removed it held it's shape. Worked great except every once in a while it gets a hole in it from inadvertently getting in the beam path if the lid is closed.

EDIT: just went back and looked this thread over. I didn't see Hububally's posts. Looks like he has done what I asked for. Is this system working for anyone yet? Looks like he did it and is that the goto post to convert with? I'm still using the software that came with the machine. Ugggh.

Page 14 of 14 4121314