586,414 active members*
3,014 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Haimer 3D

Page 5 of 5 345

Re: Haimer 3D

Here's a quote from wtopace that was posted in the other recent Haimer thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by wtopace View Post
    I was afraid of indexing the TTS interface off the top of the Haimer and using the Haimer's built-in 3/4 shaft for fear that the R8 collet might put too much vertical pressure on the Haimer body.
    This made me realize/remember that you probably won't be able to use the Z-finding feature of the Taster if you are just putting it into an R8 collet. I'd imagine the X and Y would run just about as concentric as your collet and spindle though (with a slight bit of error possibly introduced by the varying Z height of the probe).

The Tormach low-profile holder and a 3/4" collet might be a good idea. (Sorry to hear you already have the 10mm collet coming.)
    32018 - TTS 10mm Low Profile Holder

You will be ok with the little needle not sitting perfectly at 1 as long as the large needle indicator returns to the same positions at compression and when the force is relieved. Just think of it as a 3 way interapid indicator. Just be sure to observe the red line for over-travel or else you might end up having to buy a pricey new probe tip :-).

Its okay, I dont have a tormach, so I can't use a TTS.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxCNC1 View Post
    Thanks guys. I can't wait for my 10mm collet to arrive so I can start using this tool. I hope its worth its price, but from what I have read it is.
    I just want precision and being able to find the same corner of the part (usually my start point) if I ever loose steps ect. anyone every used it for this and saved their workpiece?
    YES! It is one of the most important tools that I have in my arsenal for just that reason! Often when you are running first production you will inspect the as-made part and find that some of your bosses will be a few thou fat, or that you are needing to take 2 more thou off here and there from a long vertical wall or that you need a little more depth etc. This can come from tool flex, wear, a fat finger of the tool diameter in CAM, not looking at CAD the right way etc. With the Haimer you can locate a starting point quickly and get your DRO back on the map to do your re-work.

I find it useful in other ways as well. Sometimes I'll have to restore stainless steel parts that have significant wear from being abused in service. I typically do this by building up the wear areas via padding with tons of TIG beads of various 308 and 309 filler wire. After that is done I have to get the surface back to ground zero again. As long as I can achieve parallelism of the part on the table, and locate a feature to start at the Tormach can be set up to resurface the areas back to within the OEM targets. Before the Haimer and passive probe were in the tool table I had to use wigglers and a bunch of other tricks in the bag with dial indicators on mag bases etc. Now it is just easier to get things set-up with a machinist level, the all mighty brass tack hammer and the Haimer. It has paid for itself pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxCNC1 View Post
    Its okay, I dont have a tormach, so I can't use a TTS.
    If you have R8 you can use TTS. All it needs is the Tormach Ground r8 collet and a nose. Any nose. Then throw a lathe tool ($8 from McMaster) in a vise and face the nose perfectly flat (***that is key***) and you can use TTS. I used them on my X3 LOOOOONG before I had my Tormach. I also used my Haimer on the X3 but it was a 3/4 shank and I added a TTS collar. In reality you NEED the TTS collar for the Z reference point to be "perfectly" accurate. One tip for best accuracy is to mark your spindle so that the tool is loaded in the same orientation each time. Meaning if there is 0.0005 error and you calibrate it then turn the spindle 180 degrees, and then use it you are inducing error. I center punched my X3 and my Tormach and would always face the center punch towards me when loading the Haimer. FYI my Haas does exactly the same thing. When I call a probing routine it automatically rotates the spindle to whatever orientation it ended up in during calibration when it decided it was happy. NO that is not a regular degree mark. Kind of funny to see it rotate 19 degrees then probe then rotate back to zero to change tool again.

Great info guys.
    Thanks for the tip WOTDesigns (on marking my spindle).

Truth be told I did not realize I was posting on a tormach forum. I have a CNCRouter Parts machine (CNC router, not a mill) and therefore I do not have access to all those cool spindles you guys are talking about. I am working with a Bosch wood router (which special collets) but I am looking to upgrade to a proper spindle in the next 2-3 weeks. I do want to get a Tormach someday or even a littlemachineshop mill. I like to work with alumn. but I also need the larger area of my cnc router for some other projects. From what I understand the only way to get an R8 holder or something similar to the TTS is spend 5000 dollars on an ATC spindle (which I don't really need) - believe me though, I would love to be able to use tool holders on my cnc router.

Aha, router nose. Totally different. Should still be good and faster for x & y and you can use it as a reference for your z to measure from one z surface to another.

Quote Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post
    Aha, router nose. Totally different. Should still be good and faster for x & y and you can use it as a reference for your z to measure from one z surface to another.
    Yeah I will not be using the Z offset/cutter offset, but locating the XY should be that same in terms or advantage and precision and repeatability - I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Damn! Takes me about 30 seconds to setup all three axes by probing with a few $ worth of home-made probe hardware....

Regards,
    Ray L.

Ray,

hmmm.. whats your trick to being able to get yours set so quick??? I just purchased one and i'm having trouble setting it up...

anyone have any ideas??? My Haimer zero master didn't come with instructions. i'm ggoing to get intouch with them to get them sent to me. But i'd like to be able to get it setup before then.

-Mongo

Page 5 of 5 345