586,588 active members*
2,602 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Ball screw lube fitting

Have a late 90's HS-1 which has a LOUD whine on X and Y axis when run in rapid. I dont know for sure if the sound is coming from the ball screws or maybe the thrust bearings but it sounds awful. Z axis is smooth as silk. Upon inspection the X and Y ball screws are not getting any lube. I pulled the oil line from the X axis and there is for sure no oil coming out of the line to the ball nut. I noticed there is a little one way fitting that the line is connected to and that is where the oil was getting held up at. Ive never seen one of these before. Is this a part that could be purchased from the HFO? if not where can i get some? What is its purpose exactly? I took the one way apart and pulled the guts out of it then put it back together and there is now oil getting to the X ball screw but id rather fix it right. Also the noise did not reduce one bit after getting oil to it.

Re: Ball screw lube fitting

You sure its a 1 way valve and not a flow metering fitting? Devco has all that stuff BTW.

It could be a flow metering device. It has an arrow on the outside showing the direction of flow so i assumed it was a one way valve. I see a pic of it on the front page of Devco's website, ill check it out.

GITRDUN,

I recommend replacing all 5 axis flow restrictors on the X axis and the Y axis (10 total) part number 58-4000. These are about $7ea and clog up easily. While you are at it e-stop the machine, remove the waylube tank and thoroughly clean in out. Over time the waylube (which contains paraffin) settles at the bottom of the tank, making a thick sludge that plugs up the pickup filter. Also remove and clean the pickup filter and the inline filter. *Make sure you bleed out all the air by loosening the output line and manually cycling the pump until oil purges, then retighten the lube output line. Do these things and your flow restrictors won't plug up and your ballscrews, ways and spindle will last much longer.

Thank you,

Precision MT