586,983 active members*
3,847 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Plasma, EDM / Other similar machine Project Log > Anyone tried the THC3T-03-Stand-Alone-Plasma-Torch-Height-Controller

Hybrid View

Re: Anyone tried the THC3T-03-Stand-Alone-Plasma-Torch-Height-Controller

(wedge)
    What the 'hack" Wintrop????????
    Why your mach3 licence is candcnc but you use NeuronTHC?
    I asume that once you had THC from Candcnc and now you use Neuron. Give us details!!! (group)

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzeniger View Post
    (wedge)
    What the 'hack" Wintrop????????
    Why your mach3 licence is candcnc but you use NeuronTHC?
    I asume that once you had THC from Candcnc and now you use Neuron. Give us details!!! (group)
    Hi schwarzeniger, I was going to ask how you knew that when I noticed the photo. Anyway I was using the CandCNC MP3000 fully loaded and very carefully integrated. I was even using a 7:1 divider for optimum S/N ratio and had the Z-axis tuned for optimal performance and no step loss. Everything was done by the book, but the best I could get was on average +/- .025" for a .060" cut height. No true PID functions so my hands were really tied. Best analogy previously given is like trying to stop a car on a line when you can either floor it or slam on the brakes. My fault.

So I began my quest for a replacement. Having spent 30 years working with semiconductor equipment I am very spec oriented. You don't buy anything in semicon without double checking the specs, so my instinct is to ask the obvious questions if your selling a THC, how accurate does it control height?

It's kinda funny that for as many post as I have read on Torch Height Control, nobody talks about the accuracy! The only two references I have come across was a post by Jim Colt of Hypertherm that mentioned +/- .005" and Camsoft that has a non voltage unit they spec at +/- 1%. Both of these units are expensive, but you do get some sense of what your buying.

For me before I think about cut charts, integration, features and speeds I want to know HOW ACCURATE IS THE DAMN THING! What am I buying, a profile loader or a height controller? In my view it's the burden that is placed on the manufacturer to spec the product. I have spent a lot of time tracking what I do, how I cut and my cost to produce what I do, which is why I also took the time to get the height vs voltage data for my system. Cutting 1000's of parts in 3/8" is no cake walk and cutting at +/- .025 just doesn't work for me.

That being said it came down to two choices, Neuron or the new Eithercut from CandCNC and I went with the Neuron primarily because after a lot of conversation with Andrew Shad I felt that it met my desired SPEC. My mean is now +/- .0025 on cut height, so I increased my accuracy by tenfold. I will guarantee anybody +/- .005 with proper z-axis build and a Hypertherm Powermax. Neuron gave me a sense that it was designed for industrial applications, used by people in Europe cutting heavier material that just don't have time to screw around. How does it compare to the new Eithercut from a actual height control spec? I don't know and have no way to answer that unless I see data. The Eithercut looks greatly improved over the MP3000 and I am sure it works well. We know that it is fast in response because you don't cut corrugated unless you are doing something right.

I honestly feel to comfort picky people like me both Neuron and CandCNC and all plasma table manufacturers should spec their products. It may be a pain in the ass, but it should be done. Hell I've had a high/low needle dial indication on mine on perimeter cuts so it's not that hard to do. I also realize that in fairness there has to be some wording in regards to conditions used to achieve that spec. You can't guarantee +/- .005 for a THC to a customer that has a .100 screw in a heavy Z-Axis.

One final comment to help answer the question about the THC3T-03. I contacted that seller and he sent me the manual, I reviewed it and decided against it. My advise to anyone considering THC would be to save your money and get a more recent true PID unit like the Neuron or the Eithercut. You will be a lot farther ahead in the long run, time is money, material is money and consumables are money and a good THC will save you money in the end.

-Shawn

Hi Andrew,

I have the red screen Torchmate THC

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by scbron View Post
    Hi Andrew,

I have the red screen Torchmate THC

Steven
    I have OHC3T-03 is not work . dont have any support from the company only toys