586,993 active members*
3,317 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Plasma, EDM / Other similar machine Project Log > Anyone tried the THC3T-03-Stand-Alone-Plasma-Torch-Height-Controller

Hybrid View

Re: Anyone tried the THC3T-03-Stand-Alone-Plasma-Torch-Height-Controller

I'm not doing manualy in GCODE Torchhead. But seems to be easy for me to modify some parameters inside Mach.
    I think that you may be confused that the settings HAVE to be in SheetCAM. Since you downloaded our Plugins, and I assume you do not have the DTHCIV hardware, you could not have seen the following configuration screens in MACH3 because the plugin has to have the DTHCIV module present to show these screens. There are other configuration and testing screens in our HUB ADMIN but once again you would have had our RS485 4 port hub and a DTHCIV module on line to see those screens.

Here is the operators screen in MACH3 with the right hand TAB fly-out open, Note the CUT PROFILE Button lower right:

Attachment 265880

Here is the first screen you see when you have the DTHC online with MACH3. You will note that this CUT PROFILE is all in MACH and you can ADD. EDIT. DELETE other settings in the list
    You can run the file with the settings in MACH.only

Attachment 265882

And here is the settings for the DTHCIV including the Response Profile (PID settings)

Attachment 265884

This is a screen shot of the Operations window in SheetCAM. Note there are some options there that enhance the cut process (Min Cut Length For DTHC is one)

Attachment 265886

Note the expanded tool table for the DTHCIV . A lot of these settings are redundant with the ones in the CUT PROFILE. IF you use this POST and tool parameters they OVERRIDE the same settings in MACH3, but it gives you an opportunity to check and change anything manually you do not want You get prompted after you load the G-Code to "Check Your Settings".

SHEETCAM TOOL WINDOW

Attachment 265888

For me, setting everything that changes with different cuts in one place in SheetCAM makes logical sense and the values get stored in the G-Code so every time you run the file the same settings are used. This approach works well in a shop where the operator of the table is not the same person doing the design and CAM work, but also for those if us that sometimes forget things running different jobs.

Winthrop: Your review is detailed and impressive. Even more so for a new member and your very first post on the forum. WELL DONE! Where have you been for the last two years?
    Looking at your list of hardware, You seem to have the technical expertise to integrate and use all of the products together with zero problems and I would like to know how you use the THC on/off feature in real time through MACH while the ESS is from 1/4 to 1 sec behind MACH as far as motion is concerned.? It proved a challenge to me to get the two processes synced close enough to get accurate timing. where 100 msec can mean you travel .375 inches at 225IPM cut speeds.

TOMcaudle
    www.CandCNC.com

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post

Winthrop: Your review is detailed and impressive. Even more so for a new member and your very first post on the forum. WELL DONE! Where have you been for the last two years?
    Looking at your list of hardware, You seem to have the technical expertise to integrate and use all of the products together with zero problems and I would like to know how you use the THC on/off feature in real time through MACH while the ESS is from 1/4 to 1 sec behind MACH as far as motion is concerned.? It proved a challenge to me to get the two processes synced close enough to get accurate timing. where 100 msec can mean you travel .375 inches at 225IPM cut speeds.
    Attachment 266324
    Hi Tom, thank you for the complement. Where have I been? Unfortunately I have been pounding iron. I am an ex semicon engineer that threw in the towel after 30 years of working for a company that went under Chinese ownership so it was time for me to leave. I live in the Cascades now and became a Blacksmith (talk about a serious pay cut!). Anyway I never seem to have any free time. We have a retail store as (shown in the pic) where the iron is sold and it's a full time job just to keep the store filled. I starting out doing all cutting with good old Victor, but that gets old fast so I built the plasma system.

To try to answer your questions, the THC on/off is done via the sheetcam rules and from what I can see it does it well. The ESS is not used by Neuron, the Neuron Arm feeds a M542 or Gecko unit which drives the Z axis. As far as timing goes, I have no idea and the bulk of my work is a 30IPM, that being said I have tested the unit under extreme conditions like steep ramps on thin material and it does work.

Maybe Andrew Shad can way in here for timing issues.....

-Shawn

Winthrop,

I run a blacksmith shop in Vermont and have a Tracker cutting table ,with it's own proprietary software, and a Torchmate THC. I am trying to find a replacement THC , with ohmic sensor, that only requires the start/stop signal from the cnc controller, which is how the Tracker THC works. Currently, I control the voltage and initial stand off on the Torchmate THC screen which is all that I need. I have extremely limited electronic skills and understanding. I am better with a hammer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Steven Bronstein
    Blackthorne Forge of Vermont - Steven Bronstein, Blacksmith

Hi Steven, as a fellow Smith I really wish I could help but I am not familiar at all with the Torchmate THC or Tracker software. Maybe some Torchmate folks could chime in? Is the Torchmate THC dead or not working well with heavier material? Do you use Sheetcam? Since Tracker is not a Mach based system you may need a standalone PID unit like the Proma, but having watched some videos of that unit and the voltage display I question the accuracy. It should be possible to convert the machine over to Mach, but that may require more time and money that you had planned for. I am obviously a big Neuron fan, but I use Sheetcam/Mach so it was easy to implement.

The simple solution would be to get the Torchmate THC dialed in if possible, but again I have no experience with that unit so unfortunately I'm not much help.

-Shawn

Hi Steven!
    Unfortunately Neuron Lite and Professional version can work only with Mach3/Mach4.
    BUT Now being tested the new full stand alone Neuron THC controller.
    It can work with any CNC and has a discrete IO control interface: Input Signals START and HOLD from CNC and output signal MOTION to CNC.
    The new controller combines the simple operation, providing a high cutiing quality and reliability in industrial environments. Like all Neuron THC controllers.
    These are some photos of the controller prototype. I hope in March new controller will be available.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neuron.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	268728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	268732
    Best Regards!
    Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by shad71 View Post
    Hi Steven!
    Unfortunately Neuron Lite and Professional version can work only with Mach3/Mach4.
    BUT Now being tested the new full stand alone Neuron THC controller.
    It can work with any CNC and has a discrete IO control interface: Input Signals START and HOLD from CNC and output signal MOTION to CNC.
    The new controller combines the simple operation, providing a high cutiing quality and reliability in industrial environments. Like all Neuron THC controllers.
    These are some photos of the controller prototype. I hope in March new controller will be available.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neuron.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	268728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	268732
    There you go Steven. Put the Neuron on your table and never look back, you will be very very pleased with Andrew's work!

Hi Andrew,

It sounds like this would be the replacement for my Torchmate THC. I am happy with this unit but it does not have an ohmic sensor to register contact with the material. Will this be in your unit, that would be critical to me. Let me know if you need a beta tester. I have a small production shop and am very interested in getting an ohmic THC.

Thanks,
    Stevem

Steven, ask me - your Torchmate THC has the Input for Initial Height Sensing procedure (find metal surface)? Like float head switch.
    Try to check it.
    My ohmic sensor has relay output. Maybe it is possible to make them work together
    Best Regards!
    Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

I think there is a pressure switch inside the smart motor. which controls the torch head. The torch head comes down until it meets a certain amount of resistance and then rises to the set pierce height. The only inputs into the THC are from the computer which provides the start input and the voltage signal from the plasma cutter

If you think there is a work around I would love to hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by scbron View Post
    Hi Andrew,

It sounds like this would be the replacement for my Torchmate THC. I am happy with this unit but it does not have an ohmic sensor to register contact with the material. Will this be in your unit, that would be critical to me. Let me know if you need a beta tester. I have a small production shop and am very interested in getting an ohmic THC.

Thanks,
    Stevem
    Hello Steven,
    You can find the solution for Torchmate's (Red Display) THC:

https://cnc4pc.com/motion-control/to...tml#prodtabs-4

Or:

Torchmate Applications

Merry Christmas

Best regards