586,475 active members*
3,393 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > converting bridgeport ez track to manual mill

converting bridgeport ez track to manual mill

Hi all.I have just purchased a 1998 ez track mill.I want to strip all the cnc parts off And convert to manual mill.Would it be a straight swap for the ball screw to a acme lead screw In x and Y.table measures 48"
    Cheers Neal

Re: converting bridgeport ez track to manual mill

Quote Originally Posted by nealg View Post
    Hi all.I have just purchased a 1998 ez track mill.I want to strip all the cnc parts off And convert to manual mill.Would it be a straight swap for the ball screw to a acme lead screw In x and Y.table measures 48"
    Cheers Neal

Why would you want to do that? Unless the ball screws are trashed that would be a step in the wrong direction. I use my EZTrak as a manual more often than I use CNC, but it's still really nice to have CNC when I need it.

But to answer the question, no it would probably not be a straight swap.

C|

Yes I echo that question....... WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THAT???? Unless the CNC is trashed
    L.S. Tool & Precision Inc.
    Taking machining to the
    next level, combining creativity, ingenuity and the technology of CAD/CAM & CNC Machining
    “When ingenuity makes all the difference”
    http://hometown.aol.com/lstool1/myhomepage/business.html

I thought i might get this response.It does sound a bit mad but i already have another ez trak and dont tend to use the cnc side of it.I have a hurco hawk ssm
    which i do my cnc work on.In my opinion i think 2 axis cnc is pretty pointless.If it was a 3 axis different matter all together.I was just going to keep the parts as spares
    just in case any boards packed in on the other one.Dont really need another cnc but it was to good to refuse.If parts arent a straight swap it will stay as it is

Neal

I guess i just has to be the kind of work you do or intend on doing if you're efficient with the control even simple tasks are easier either 2 axis or three axis control....you can use the machine manually as is cant you, my machine, Proto trak 2 axis / 3 axis control has the flip out handles and full quill access and I use manually when I need to.... I could never imagine stripping the machine of the cnc capability even if it were only 2 axis..... Yes it does sound a bit Mad..... WHY WHY WHY????......
    L.S. Tool & Precision Inc.
    Taking machining to the
    next level, combining creativity, ingenuity and the technology of CAD/CAM & CNC Machining
    “When ingenuity makes all the difference”
    http://hometown.aol.com/lstool1/myhomepage/business.html

I use my 2 axis EZTrak ALL THE TIME for making simple parts and fixtures and such. The manual Z makes it super fast to throw something up there to punch out a few holes or square up some stock. The ball screws are also really nice because they have almost no backlash, so climb milling is easy. I also have a full manual BP and it almost never gets used because the EZTrak is just so much nicer.

Real CNC work goes on the Haas.

C|