586,116 active members*
3,346 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question bridgeport running 220 volt ac motor

hi i have been looking inot bridgeport for hobby shop use and am still looking into three phase converters, well long story short i found this guy who sells a mount to put a 220 volt motor on your bridgeport. would this be a bad idea i dont see anyone doing this on the forumn. is it because of less torque or power? for light milling would a 1-2 hp motor on a j head 1hp bridgport be sufficient, shure would seem to make things easier. i know a 3 phase 1hp is alot stronger than a 1 phase 1hp. anyway anyones thoughts would be appreciated thanks
    tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails J-HeadMotorAdapter.jpg  

another pic

another picture of mount and motor, and could you not just mount the 220 motor where the old motor was???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails J-HeadMotorAdapter3.jpg  

Hi timmy, nothing wrong with the setup as long as you've secured it and can get the speed range.
    A mate of mine added a single phase motor to his 'port and just made a new mounting plate to fit it in place of the 3ph motor.
    Using a rotary phase converter is the neat way to go as you don't have to work on the mechanics of the machine at all, but at the end of the day as long as it does the job -no problems.
    Ian.

thanks

thank you for the reply, i don't know if you would know anoher answer but, as long as you have the same rpm range would a 1hp 110 ac have the same power as a 1hp three phase??

thanks again
    tim

I'm not sure what you are looking to spend, but I faced the same dilemma in restoring my Boss mill. For a little over $225 I got a Hitachi VFD that serves as phase converter and gives me variable speed. In fact I removed most of original mechanical variable speed mechaninsm and set the VFD to run at up to 90 hz. This gives me solid power from about 100-3700 rpm. The model I used was Hitachi L200-015-NFU. You can see pics at http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/2598/

Hi timmy, if your using 110V then to get 1HP you will draw about double the amps and so need adequate wiring.
    Ian.