586,635 active members*
2,912 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Unknown servo motors, How do i use them?

Hybrid View

Unknown servo motors, How do i use them?

Hello!

i got these three Brush DC servo motors from my uncle and i would like to try them out on my cnc machine. The only problem is that i have no idea how to run them. I have been trying to use google to find information about them but with out any success whatsoever. The only information written on them is Art.Nr:396102 8001 Charge Nr.: 3400-01-MW And a sticker whith the text "DH052-120E7N02Y13-00 Nanotec - Munich" . I know also that they are quite old about 14-20years. The mounting plate is very similar to Nema 23 plate. Perhaps i can run them with G320X digital Servo Drive

If anyone here knows how to make them run i would be very happy

Re: Unknown servo motors, How do i use them?

You could probably could run them of Gecko drives, just need to find out the what is under the encoder cover. Looks like to many wires for just an encoder. The other possibility is change out the encoders to something usable.

Quote Originally Posted by vertcnc View Post
    You could probably could run them of Gecko drives, just need to find out the what is under the encoder cover. Looks like to many wires for just an encoder. The other possibility is change out the encoders to something usable.
    Encoder looks okay. Seven wires - Signal Ground, A Channel, Bar A, B Channel, Bar B, Z or Marker Pulse, Bar Z.

These just appear to be older style brush type DC Servos. I think that these are made by SHINANO KENSHI CORP. and marketed under a variety or Brands including Siemens and Sony. These would look to be respectable servo motors and rated at 75V. The E7 designation indicates that it is mounted with a 5V encoder and a line count of 500 or 1000 lines with a marker pulse.

What does the green cable on my photo do? The seems like it is not used.
    No officer, I don't know how fast I was going. But I know exactly where I am.
    - Werner Heisenberg at traffic stop

Google search for shinano kenshi servo DH052

The second item in the list is the following link:

stepping motor shinano kenshi ... - Datasheet Search Engine Download

Page 44 for the PDF has the specs for your motor and encoder

With this info the experts may be able to tell you if the encoder is compatible with the Gecko G320.

Alan

If I had those motors on my shelf I would use LinuxCNC, a Mesa 5i25 and some Pico PWM amps, but that may not be at all appropriate for others and a bit off topic.
    LinuxCNC.org
    5I25 Superport FPGA based PCI Anything I/O card
    Pico Systems : 2. PWM Servo Amplifier [PWM] - $125.00

This will allow you customize your system to whatever you need. My HNC lathe uses a similar setup:
    http://www.wallacecompany.com/cnc_la...C/00013-1a.jpg
    Conversion of Hardinge HNC Lathe to EMC

Quote Originally Posted by kirk_wallace View Post
    If I had those motors on my shelf I would use LinuxCNC, a Mesa 5i25 and some Pico PWM amps, but that may not be at all appropriate for others and a bit off topic.
    LinuxCNC.org
    5I25 Superport FPGA based PCI Anything I/O card
    Pico Systems : 2. PWM Servo Amplifier [PWM] - $125.00

This will allow you customize your system to whatever you need. My HNC lathe uses a similar setup:
    http://www.wallacecompany.com/cnc_la...C/00013-1a.jpg
    Conversion of Hardinge HNC Lathe to EMC
    Interesting! Why LinuxCNC and not Mach 3?

They appear to be hi-quality 4 brush 3k rpm motors, the encoders could be differential 2kpulses/rev by the look of the sheet?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    They appear to be hi-quality 4 brush 3k rpm motors, the encoders could be differential 2kpulses/rev by the look of the sheet?
    Al.
    Perhaps, but they could also be 500 or 1000 pulses/rev by my judgement of the sheet . Is there a way to find out how many pulses/rev the encoderes are on?

Quote Originally Posted by Lycosa View Post
    Perhaps, but they could also be 500 or 1000 pulses/rev by my judgement of the sheet . Is there a way to find out how many pulses/rev the encoderes are on?
    One very basic method is to hook them up to power and use a voltmeter while turning the shaft Very slowly to try and establish the amount of degree(s)/turn, 1 to 10 pulses should give you the figure, the other faster way is a 'scope.
    Al.

Albert E.

Personally, I don't use Windows and I know Linux and LinuxCNC fairly well. Generally, it's a hard sell for anyone that doesn't use Linux, but some points come to mind;
    I can freely load and update LInux on any PC without having to worry about license and hardware lockout issues.
    LinuxCNC is open-source so if I need to, I can study the source and fix or update the software to my particular needs (or hire a programmer to do it)
    LinuxCNC was not created to to produce a profit, so there is no feature throttling. If a feature is important enough it will get implemented fairly quickly
    Features will not be restricted to what a vendor happens to sell
    LinuxCNC has been used on a wide variety machines from toys to industrial CNC's:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxxdq6y8z8M
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoOWi1r6-Eo
    EMCRepRap - RepRapWiki
    3D Printing: MachineKit: LinuxCNC ready-to-go f... | element14
    LinuxCNC Documentation Wiki: Videos

If one just wants to buy a machine that is nearly complete and just have it (mostly) work, Mach3 on Windows might be the way to go.
    If one has a decent background in electronics and software and is willing to learn (or hire someone) LinuxCNC can be very attractive for its freedom, cost and access "under to hood".
    There is a version 2.5 live CD available (boots and runs without affecting your hard drive, or if you want, installs everything): http://www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/download

There is a 2.6 version that comes as a USB thumb drive but I am not sure if it is a live package. I have had very good luck with old Core 2 Duo Dell and HP PC's, but some PCs don't work with Linux well at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kirk_wallace View Post
    Personally, I don't use Windows and I know Linux and LinuxCNC fairly well. Generally, it's a hard sell for anyone that doesn't use Linux, but some points come to mind;
    I can freely load and update LInux on any PC without having to worry about license and hardware lockout issues.
    LinuxCNC is open-source so if I need to, I can study the source and fix or update the software to my particular needs (or hire a programmer to do it)
    LinuxCNC was not created to to produce a profit, so there is no feature throttling. If a feature is important enough it will get implemented fairly quickly
    Features will not be restricted to what a vendor happens to sell
    LinuxCNC has been used on a wide variety machines from toys to industrial CNC's:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxxdq6y8z8M
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoOWi1r6-Eo
    EMCRepRap - RepRapWiki
    3D Printing: MachineKit: LinuxCNC ready-to-go f... | element14
    LinuxCNC Documentation Wiki: Videos

If one just wants to buy a machine that is nearly complete and just have it (mostly) work, Mach3 on Windows might be the way to go.
    If one has a decent background in electronics and software and is willing to learn (or hire someone) LinuxCNC can be very attractive for its freedom, cost and access "under to hood".
    There is a version 2.5 live CD available (boots and runs without affecting your hard drive, or if you want, installs everything): http://www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/download

There is a 2.6 version that comes as a USB thumb drive but I am not sure if it is a live package. I have had very good luck with old Core 2 Duo Dell and HP PC's, but some PCs don't work with Linux well at all.
    Im ceternly is going to try it out! I have many mates that uses Linux, so i might as well go with it
    Thanks for the information.

One way to do this is to boot a PC with LinuxCNC and set up a printer port input as a counter and count pulses for one turn. This would not be exact since it is hard to turn the shaft exactly one turn but it should be close. Here is an example of encoder counting: Index of /machine_shop/LinuxCNC/gvcpDRO
    http://www.wallacecompany.com/machin...gvcpDRO-m2.png

There is also a digital scope feature called HALscope which can be used to see the pulses:
    http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/im...alscope-07.png
    Advanced HAL Tutorial

I would wire up 5 volts to the encoder and wire a current limit resistor, say 1k Ohm, between A (or A+) to a parallel port input pin. Then wire A/ (or A-) to parport ground, or use a parallel port break-out-board. Double check the specs to insure this is appropriate for the particular motor/encoder. Oops, it looks like you only need a 1k Ohm resistor as a pull-up between the encoder 5 V supply and the input pin, then a wire between the input pin and the encoder A+. The encoder sensor will pull the 1k pull-up to ground when it sees an encoder space.
    Maybe like this:
    Attachment 263758

Parallel Port Driver
    Wiring up B and Z in a similar fashion would allow for quadrature and index counting instead of just A pulses.

The encoders shown appear to be differential, if so the sheet shows line driver not open collector so a pull up should not normally be necessary.
    Al.

Albert E.

Oops, in looking at the manual it does indicate a line driver or open collector option. My schematic shows open collector. I don't see any indication of which option is installed. I guess the number wires is the clue, but we don't know which color of wire does what do we?

The encoders in the OP appear to have eight conductors, 6 signal and 2 pwr, so line drive would be indicated, the single ended show 3 signal plus 2 power.
    Al.

Albert E.

Check to see if it is a ground wire are connected to the shield of the cable?
    Al.

Albert E.

Personally I would take the cover off the encoder and look at it. If it's an optical encoder it's going to have a model number and quite possibly the line count printed right on the wheel. The encoder will have it's own number printed on the reader. if its not an optical it will at least give us a clue as to what we are actually dealing with rather then guessing what wire does what.