586,477 active members*
3,876 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Structural Failure Problem

plz help me to get the soulition of this problem thank u guys

Re: Structural Failure Problem

Add T bracing to the legs and additional legs in the center.
    Lee

Is this for an engineering class? Because I see references to things (MATLAB, blackboard) that I have used in college...

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Add T bracing to the legs and additional legs in the center.
    No amount of bracing & extra legs is going to solve his problem

Evolve44

With the legs,@ 2.4m long & made with 50 x 50 x 5 angle Iron, it was a disaster waiting to happen, for safety use some 75 x 75 x 5 Square Tube for the legs 6 of them, bracing should be around 300mm from the bottom of the leg, the Bracing & frame use 50 x 75 x 5 Rectangle Tube
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    No amount of bracing & extra legs is going to solve his problem

Evolve44

With the legs,@ 2.4m long & made with 50 x 50 x 5 angle Iron, it was a disaster waiting to happen, for safety use some 75 x 75 x 5 Square Tube for the legs 6 of them, bracing should be around 300mm from the bottom of the leg, the Bracing & frame use 50 x 75 x 5 Rectangle Tube
    That is ridiculous. No amount of bracing and legs. Seriously? I call BS.
    Lee

thtat is right man ?

yeah...... guys this problem i got it in my class in sheffield university department of equipment engineering & design plz guts i would like the procedures of solution

but i think guys the main idea is how to get the load in the Column and i think the the problem which happen during design the designer ignore the
    slope

You add enough bracing and legs to it and it will be solid. That failure occurred at the center of the legs where absolutely no bracing is. Add horizontal bracing there. Add vertical bracing at the center of the X to include a foot making 6 legs on the long side. Then X bracing horizontally in two spots inside the frame. It would then become pretty stout and rigid. That is an amount of bracing.

I didn't catch the part about it having to remain at an angle. Dig a hole under the feet in the graded surface. Repair the support using bracing. Welded.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    You add enough bracing and legs to it and it will be solid. That failure occurred at the center of the legs where absolutely no bracing is. Add horizontal bracing there. Add vertical bracing at the center of the X to include a foot making 6 legs on the long side. Then X bracing horizontally in two spots inside the frame. It would then become pretty stout and rigid. That is an amount of bracing.

I didn't catch the part about it having to remain at an angle. Dig a hole under the feet in the graded surface. Repair the support using bracing. Welded.
    I don't think you realise that this frame is over 6 feet tall being supported by 50 x 50 Angle Iron even if you added 8 legs & extra bracing, it's not going to make it secure enough, for the 6 tons on top
    Mactec54

And if that is the case, the original design was flawed even for level ground. I considered it to be a simple case of temporary COG shift causing a failure of an otherwise satisfactorily designed base.
    Lee

I don't consider that design satisfactory, and I've gotten flamed on other forums for critizizing people's wind turbine towers made from angle iron too. angle iron is about the most retarded material to make a beam from. yes i know you can paint both sides and it will resist corrosion better than a closed beam will, rotting out from the inside, but use C channel if that's a problem.

It a minimum I would weld an identical piece of angle iron to the existing angle iron leg and make a box beam, welding at least 30% of the length for both seams.
    if you want to really cheap out, only weld a 3 foot beam centered in the existing leg.

at 6 feet high you've got a long slender beam, fixed load at both ends. equivalant length to width ratio is 72 inches to about 1.41 inches. (the dimentions from the apex of the angle iron to the two sides)

what you've got now is expecting a yardstick to hold up a stack of encyclopedias. it will do it if you ducttape 3 sticks together and make a triangle, but not two of them like angle iron.