586,377 active members*
2,724 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Huanyang VFD & KFLOP

So my Medium Format Router project is nearing completion.....for testing I have been manually setting the Huanyang VFD using the control panel on the front of it, and this isn't horrible, but I would love to be able to control it via KMotionCNC...and I assume this is achievable via any of several methods...the most eloquent of which would be via RS485 Modbus serial comm directly from the KFlop, but I don't know that I have the patience to work that out on my own.....obviously I can use PWM and a few i/o pins for on/off/forward/reverse/stop...but RS485 would be really slick....since I have a long history of reinventing the wheel, I thought I would simply ask for advice on how to proceed.....

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice....

Fish

Re: Huanyang VFD & KFLOP

There are a couple of Modbus plug in's specifically for the Huanyang, the best is by Royaumedeole.fr , there is a long Thread on it on the Mach forum.
    Max.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks Al.....

but a Mach3 plugin doesn't really help me with KMotionCNC....unless the Mach3 Plugin somehow works with KMotionCNC and I missed the memo....I was just hoping someone had already worked the modbus out for KMotionCNC....but I can certainly get up and running with analog voltage and various i/o bits....

Thanks!

Fish

Hi Fish,

If you just want to turn the Spindle on/off and occasionally set the speed you might try connecting directly to a PC Serial port. There are some free relatively simple PC programs to talk Modbus. If you can get that to work then it is relatively simple to make KMotionCNC invoke those PC programs for M3, M4, M5, and S. Here is a link to a related discussion on our Yahoo Group.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/.../messages/9509

Even if you eventually want to connect directly to KFLOP for real-time ModBus control its a good idea to verify functionality with the PC first.

HTH
    Regards
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fish4Fun View Post
    ....I was just hoping someone had already worked the modbus out for KMotionCNC...
    Fish
    One thing to be aware of, Huanyang do not use the standard Modbus register methods, that is why a couple of special ones have been written for Mach.
    The details are on the Modbus plugin on the Mach site.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    One thing to be aware of, Huanyang do not use the standard Modbus register methods, that is why a couple of special ones have been written for Mach.
    The details are on the Modbus plugin on the Mach site.
    Al.
    Yep....I am aware, but thanks for the tip....If there is any "good news" it is that I am NOT already familiar with Modbus, so learning the Huanyang rendition will not require me to "unlearn" anything if I decide to pursue it, lol.....I am not really certain that for what I do it is even worth the effort.....this new machine is so fast that I spend more time doing tool changes than I do cutting, lol. If I do ever pursue it, I will post any success I have here.

Thanks!

Fish