586,961 active members*
2,833 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Generating toolpaths for a slot in MCX6

Generating toolpaths for a slot in MCX6

MC noob here. Trying to generate a toolpath for this slot that works its way around the inside of the boss of my part. When I select slot mill I get an error message that says "Boundary must consist of two parallel lines connected by arcs. Use Create Rectangle with Rectangle Shape set to Obround". The second half of this message means nothing to me. The first half however makes more sense but I don't know how to connect the chains since they don't share the same line...
    Probably missing something obvious here, im just trying to struggle my way through this software until I get a good handle on it. Picture attached has the slot highlighted. any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Generating toolpaths for a slot in MCX6

Hard to tell if the "slot" stays even all the way around, but "slot" makes a zip zag pattern which isn't what u need anyways. Select one loop and use 2D contour. You can make it ramp down #.### per lap or plunge, or maybe zip zag entrance.

Under "cut parameters" the top right "contour type" try changing to "ramp", change ramp motion to depth, set how deep you want per "lap"

Brian
    WOT Designs

I drew the model myself in solidworks and yes, the entire slot is parallel, and all corners have a radius. ill give that a shot in the morning, thanks for the response.

Slot is specific to a single line slot usually. The slot tool path goes one direction, stops, goes back he way it just came. Pretty rarely needed, but a PITA not to have when it Is needed.

Brian
    WOT Designs

I followed your instructions and it generated a toolpath for only one face of my slot. and it lead in/out through my part.....now im trying to add as many chains as necessary for it follow the edge of the slot but I keep getting slammed with an error message that says the selected sub-chain does not touch the branch point. Why can't I just select every radius and edge of my slot so that the toolpath follows according to what I need?! ugghh.....

You should be able to select the full chain in one click by changing "selection type" to chain. Clicking on the outer top edge should select the entire loop all the way around. Depending on which end of an individual line you select decides which direction the path generates.

Errors from selection individual chains may mean there are errors in the rendering. Did you draw it in Mastercam? Are you trying to select the solid? I hide the solid and select from the layer with that drawing that generated that slot.

If u imported a solid you will need to create - curves - all edges - select solid body selection tool - select body - done. Make sure it's on a new level. Now you have curves you can select from

Brian
    WOT Designs

I drew it in solidworks, saved it as an .iges and I have made another level of the part and incorporated the above directions accordingly per another thread I worked my way through. Is it safe to say I should be generating all toolpaths on the level that's had all edges/curves selected? Thanks for being so patient:drowning:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mcam ss2.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	263040

You are correct. The iges has no curves for Mastercam to understand

Brian
    WOT Designs

ok, definitely made a bit of headway. There were some very small areas in my radius' that i missed in my curve selections so it was breaking up the overall "loop". Now my issue that when I select the loop it works along the inside/outside of my slot. Inside chain selection mill outs the inside contour on the inside of my part. Outside chain selection mills out the outside contour of my slot. Is this just a simple reverse cutting edge type of thing? Attached picture is result of the outside loop being selected for chaining; Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mcam ss3.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	263182

nevermind! *somehow* figured it out on my own! now im just having a problem with it not recognizing the bottom of slot. its milling clear through the bottom of my part got a quick fix for that?!

ok got the linking paramters figured out. depth of cuts are better. now, the slow is .140, and since im using an 1/8" flat endmill, and its cutting along one edge only, that leaves .015" left over. is there a way to get that exact toolpath w/ .015 stepover to finish the width

make sure your linking parameters are set to the correct depths.... you can right click in the boxes and select "Z = Z coordinate of point" then select on your model where you want that z depth to be.

Also check out the toolpaths --> surface high speed --> opti area
    To use this toolpath simply select your solid, then define your containment and avoiding areas.

Quote Originally Posted by tyguidry View Post
    now, the slow is .140........ that leaves .015" left over. is there a way to get that exact toolpath w/ .015 stepover to finish the width

the slow?
    .015 on the wall or the floor?

Make sure you parameters has "leave stock on walls/floors" set to = 0 otherwise your tool path chaining isn't correctly going all the way to wall/floor

The best way to cut a 0.14 slot with a 0.125 tool is to use "material to leave" and make it half the left over 0.0075 in this case. Then do finishing passes along the outer wall, then finishing passes along the inner wall. The wall/floor finish left from slotting leaves much to be desired. I "material to leave" every single cut I ever take then do a finish pass or two. Always.

Brian
    WOT Designs