586,535 active members*
3,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Modern Adaptation of a WW1 era Yeoman Concrete Lathe

Modern Adaptation of a WW1 era Yeoman Concrete Lathe

Hey guys, I didn't see any links for this show up in my search, so I figured I would leave this here for reference and discussion.

Frankly, I hadn't seen any documentation of one being completed yet, so I'm curious if anyone here has.

The website has PDF instructions and is designed to help third world countries bootstrap a factory. It can be done at benchtop size or scaled up as much as you would like. They have some workarounds regarding the limitations of concrete.

$150, 12″ Swing, Metal Lathe/Mill/Drill | MAKE

The same guy who invented this also invented something called a MultiMachine, which is linked here: MultiMachine | Open Source Machine Tools

I also went ahead and attached the PDF builds for both of them to this post, since I found the full size version a bit difficult to view/download via browser.

Re: Modern Adaptation of a WW1 era Yeoman Concrete Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by AxelFoley View Post
    Hey guys, I didn't see any links for this show up in my search, so I figured I would leave this here for reference and discussion.

Frankly, I hadn't seen any documentation of one being completed yet, so I'm curious if anyone here has.
    Well I havent.

That being said building your own machines is a time tested activity. These days though I suspect there are better ways to useful home built machine tool. For one thing supremely is cheap theses days and epoxy granites while not cheap perform very well. There is also a sub culture that uses aluminum to DIY machines (look up Dave Gingery).

The website has PDF instructions and is designed to help third world countries bootstrap a factory. It can be done at benchtop size or scaled up as much as you would like. They have some workarounds regarding the limitations of concrete.
    I haven't read all of the stuff posted there but to be honest the engine block based machine is very innovative. Even so you might have a hard time beating the cost of Chinese iron.
    $150, 12″ Swing, Metal Lathe/Mill/Drill | MAKE

The same guy who invented this also invented something called a MultiMachine, which is linked here: MultiMachine | Open Source Machine Tools

I also went ahead and attached the PDF builds for both of them to this post, since I found the full size version a bit difficult to view/download via browser.
    These days the really big payoffs for DIY builds are machines that haven't been built using mass production techniques. Things like RepRap machines, routers and other machines that are either new concepts or so broad in the possibilities that mass market solutions have yet to hit. Even the Gingery machine guys acknowledge that it is hard to beat Chinese iron, they however value the learning experience and the sense of accomplishment.

Yeah, I'm actually working on my Gingery Lathe right now. While doing additional research outside of the book I ran across this concrete lathe design, which seems like a viable alternative to the Gingery style.

A correction for my original message: supremely = steel! Auto correct strikes again!

Quote Originally Posted by AxelFoley View Post
    Yeah, I'm actually working on my Gingery Lathe right now.
    Hopefully you know about the Gingery forum! The Gingery as described in the books is a very very light weight lathe. A good builder would end up with a lathe that can compete with a Sherline or other small lathe. This is largely due to Dave Gingerys effort to produce something acceptable with very limited foundery capacity.
    While doing additional research outside of the book I ran across this concrete lathe design, which seems like a viable alternative to the Gingery style.
    It's an alternative though I'm not sure I'd call it viable. As I tried to say before steel (auto correct did it again) is surprisingly cheap these days. Combined with epoxy granite it can produce nice bed structures for a lathe. Beyond that it is fairly easy these days to find someone willing to do iron castings for you. The point is you have lots of options if your goal is to produce a better lathe. The expense of all of the options though, does make Chinese machines look appealing, you still have to rebuild them but at least you have a kit of iron parts.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    A correction for my original message: supremely = steel! Auto correct strikes again!

Hopefully you know about the Gingery forum! The Gingery as described in the books is a very very light weight lathe. A good builder would end up with a lathe that can compete with a Sherline or other small lathe. This is largely due to Dave Gingerys effort to produce something acceptable with very limited foundery capacity.
    Where is this forum? I have started my build log here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertic...ml#post1617424

I am varying from Gingery in that I am using some cast Iron crankcase supports as my mounting base, and using square tubing and steel bar to form the bed. I might fill the tubing with epoxy granite at some point. I have also picked up some granite slabs (free off craigslist) that are about 2 foot by 1 foot and 3/4" thick. Not sure if I will factor those into my design here.

It's an alternative though I'm not sure I'd call it viable. As I tried to say before steel (auto correct did it again) is surprisingly cheap these days. Combined with epoxy granite it can produce nice bed structures for a lathe. Beyond that it is fairly easy these days to find someone willing to do iron castings for you. The point is you have lots of options if your goal is to produce a better lathe. The expense of all of the options though, does make Chinese machines look appealing, you still have to rebuild them but at least you have a kit of iron parts.
    I suppose it depends on your circumstances and what you're going for. It was designed with the developing world in mind, who may not have access to good steel and definitely not epoxy granite.