586,852 active members*
2,182 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > getting started in CNC. need all the help i can get :)

getting started in CNC. need all the help i can get :)

hey all,

I'm a co-owner of a small shop in Israel where we build audio equipment, mostly for guitars. almost everything is hand made and this began to be a problem lately as work volume increased (thank god).
    we would like to save a little time by automating a few processed that take us too much time by hand. one is the drilling of metal enclosures and the second is producing front panel for a few of our devices (which we order from a shop and it costs too much).

first of all i would like to make it clear that we are working with small enclosures nothing is more than 5" long by 3" wide and 2" high. we have to drill them for potentiometers, switches and jacks. since everything has to be very precise this is a time consuming job and until now i used a friend's mill to drill the boxes and 30 of them took 8 hours to drill and I'm working rather quickly!

a nice opportunity came along and someone i know asked me if I'm interested in an Emco F1 desktop mill. it has some trouble with the motor that he wasn't sure about but said that it worked. i am thinking to take it and if the motor is bad i can always get a new one because the rig was free anyway.

i was thinking to program this mill so it could drill the entire box in one go, it has a tool changer as far as i saw so that could be reasonable to do right?
    my boxes are made from cast aluminum so they are easy to machine.

the second job i need to machine is to cut out 4mm thick aluminum panels and drill them to fabricate the front panels for a few of my devices.

problem is i have no experience with CNC. i come from electronics background and at a time i was into programming but now i am only very good with computers
    so how should i start if this seems to be a reasonable thing to do.

thanks!

hi,could you post your products?maybe sieg machines enough for help you.

actually we are just undergoing a processes of building new gear that now one saw yet so i can't even give names of items for the next 2 months but i found similar stuff online. these pictures are of products similar to what we make, some are even the same box (Hammond).

anyone? i am really asking if the F1 could do the job. i might take it since i'm getting is for FREE only have to see what is wrong with the motor. but the real question is how do i learn to program these machines?

yes the emco f1 will be plenty

Asking how to learn programming is a bit like asking someone to teach you how to ride a bicycle over the internet. It's not likley going to happen, which may be why this thread has minimal response.

Ask pointed questions and you will get precise answers. Ask broad questions and you will need an amplifier to hear any response. That's just the way it is.

I would get the mill and start there. We would need to know what software drives the machine (what program is on the computer).

Do you have any CAD experience? Like ACAD? THis would be a decent starting place.

CAD will allow you to create dimensionally accurate drawings and that data can be run through another program to generate the basic machine code for you, then the machine controller will 'read' that code and execute the moves. Some human editing will likely have to happen, but that's the basic run-down on the steps involved.

1) Drawing - CAD package like ACAD
    2) Program - CAM package like SheetCam or LazyCam (included with Mach3)
    3) Machine - Controller Software like Mach3
    4) Editing - Text editor like Notepad, Word, Etc

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

As long as you can cover the area within the F1's envelope (from what I can see it should cover the boxes shown) there is no reason that a functioning F1 would'nt work. Usually people find the original controls or software lacking in these machines and some type of upgrade is done, although I am not exactly sure of what is required. Someone will have more information eventually, be patient and keep asking.

Just be prepared to have to do some work to the unit. People are sometimes shocked at how much time and possibly money they have to spend getting older equipement up to modern standards. Once you have a functional unit with software that you are proficiant with, it should work fine.
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Slow Rider,

I am going to try maybe to answer some of the question that you may have by sharing how some of the guys cnc their small benchtop mills and maybe in the process it will give you enough overview that you will have a better feel on what you will need to do to get your machine up and going.

Most of the guys here use MachII software for their control software which interfaces between their machines and their stepper motors. You can download a demo version and play with it along with the user's manual at http://www.artofcnc.com

I will attach a PDF file about building a simple linear power supply. This is a common project and is not too difficult.

Last, I will attach a PDF which is a good tutorial on stepper motors from Gecko drives.

If you look these three items over you will get a feel for how a small cnc mill works and then you be able to figure things out enough where you know what questions to start answering.

Shalom,

Ron
    Attached Files Attached Files

CNC Tutorial

I came across this tutorial while trying to find out how to do multiple pass cutting, or roughing on the z axis t get through the material thickness.

I thought it was a great tutorial, although brief, it's a walk through from the CAD to CAM to Controller, and figured a few may benefit.

http://www.mdaprecision.com/CNC%20Zo...0Tutorial.html

and another

http://www.mdaprecision.com/CNC%20Zo...0tutorial.html

Pat

sorry for not being specific enough. i'll try to ask again in the most specific way i can. the f1 i am getting is a first generation machine and does not support computer link. the programing is done in g code using the supplied keyboard. i have little experience with solidwork but i guess that won't help me too much?

as far as i know i have to sit near the keyboard and program lines of codes that will be saved to a disk (or cassette?) at the end. i know there are expension options for this machine so it can be hooked up to a pc but i will wait a little before investing money in it. the first task i need is only for drilling boxes and if it will prove itself to be a good idea i might invest in it.

i don't expect anyone to teach me to code but maybe there is a good source for info or an idea how to start?

Just to give a basic command, you use G codes.

G01 x1 y1 f6
    this will move the x to say 1 inch and the y to 1 inch at a speed of 6 inches per minute (assuming that you are using inch as units)

So if you want to move to a point of x2 and y2 and want to drill a hole you would

G01 X2 Y2 Z+0.030 F12
    Then use a peck drill command
    G73 or G83 and drill the hole.
    This would drill a hole using a peck drill cycle. The MachII manuel that I referenced above has a list of the common machining codes with a short discription of how and what they do.

Hope this helps,

Ron

you might want to look at this little software its usefull for milling and can help you understand g-code
    http://www.betatechnical.com/autonc.htm

keep in mind also that g-coding is dependent on the controler old controller sometime do not understand cycle code wich can force you in coding manually movement by movement your cycle also controller often have slight variation in the code there using such as one might use g73 while for the other it might be g83

Why not punch the holes?

Punching would be so much easier, faster than milling/drilling. From the pictures, you could easily punch the holes.

I'm new here, and I saw your plea for advice. I bought a CNC'd Taig with a program called Supercam. I went with this program because you don't need to program it. I import CAD dwgs with the tool paths drawn already and select what I want to machine and it does it. I cut a part the first night I owned it. There is a new windows based version (I have the older version). There is also a program generator function which makes the G code. I'm not advocating Supercam exactly, just know that there are programs out there for guys like us who can't program G code yet.