586,108 active members*
3,100 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

A4988 and Kflop problem

Hello,

I am trying to drive a stepper motor with a4988 stepper driver. I can drive this stepper with arduino with no problem. When I try to drive it with Kflop it starts immediately shaking vibrating as seen in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu0rG_4K5SQ

And I am not able to send any motion commands. Same problem occurs with arduino when I take a4988 logic voltage(5V) from different source not arduino. Anyone help?

Thank you.

Re: A4988 and Kflop problem

RobotMakerTR,

Do you have a GND connection between the A4988 and KFLOP?

Are you configuring KFLOP as LVTTL Output mode? See:
    Step and Direction Setup

Regards
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Yes, I am taking both 3.3V, 12V and ground from Kflops JP7 1,3,25 pins. Now motor remains silent but again I am not able to send commands from KmotionCNC' s screen Z axes buttons. In addition when I press other axis channels(0,1)Download Channel button they are making big noise and vibration.

Edit: When I mesure the Vmot and GND pins of the a4988 it is variates 0V-4V(it should be 12V ofcourse) and if I connect the 12V to the a4988 it gets really hot after short period of time.

Screenshot by Lightshot
    Screenshot by Lightshot

Thank you.

Hi RobotMakerTR,

What did you change to make the motor remain silent?

From your Screen Shot of KFLOP Axis Channel #2 it is configured to use OutputChan0=8 (Step/Dir Generator #0). Although not necessarily wrong it would be more common and logical to have KFLOP Axis Channel #2 use Step/Dir Generator #2. What Step/Dir Pins is your Z axis Drive wired to?

Are you using 12V fed through KFLOP to power your motors? That wouldn't be a good idea to run noisy motor power through KFLOP. Also Ribbon Cable is only rated for 1Amp.

Please do not attempt to run KMotionCNC until you have your system configured and verified working in KMotion.exe. First use the Step Respons Screen Move button to make a move.

Regards
    TK

Tom,

Thank you for your patient.

I took all power from kflop and motor become silent.

I didnt know that I set Step/Dir Generator#0 for Axis Channel #2. I just tried to make it LVTTL for a4988. How can I set Step/Dir Generator#2 for Axis Channel #2? Z axis connected to JP7 19,20 pins. And x: 15,16, y:17,18.

Motor is small 0.4Amp but you are right(you asked is there GND connection between a4988 and Kflop, You mean logic power of a4988?). I just tried to get it work. I better not take 12V Vmot from kflop.

Did you see edit on my previous reply?

Thank you.

Hi RobotMakerTR,

I took all power from kflop and motor become silent.
    I don't understand what you mean by this.

I didnt know that I set Step/Dir Generator#0 for Axis Channel #2. I just tried to make it LVTTL for a4988. How can I set Step/Dir Generator#2 for Axis Channel #2? Z axis connected to JP7 19,20 pins. And x: 15,16, y:17,18.
    Set OutputChan0 to 2+8=10 as shown in the link. See the Table of Output Channel, Step/Dir Generator, and mode.

Motor is small 0.4Amp but you are right(you asked is there GND connection between a4988 and Kflop, You mean logic power of a4988?). I just tried to get it work. I better not take 12V Vmot from kflop.
    I'm not sure what an A4988 is. I assume it is some stepper driver based on the Allegro A4988 IC. If it has LVTTL Step/Dir inputs then there should be a logic GND connection to the thing creating the Step/Dir signals (KFLOP).

Edit: When I mesure the Vmot and GND pins of the a4988 it is variates 0V-4V(it should be 12V ofcourse) and if I connect the 12V to the a4988 it gets really hot after short period of time.
    You would need to tell us what you have, how and where you are measuring, and with what (scope or multimeter?) for us to help you.

Regards
    TK

It works! Thank you for your help. Now, I have another question about wiring and configuring home switches. but because maybe it would guide somebody else come up with same problem, I will ask it as another topic.

Thank you Tom.