586,740 active members*
2,804 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

burned breakout board!

Hello,
    With lack of knowledge just by what I read from a post in the forum I tried to setup probe for my HY3040 cnc machine I just got
    Unfortunately the information about the probe was not available in the poor documentation I got from the seller and the controller in the documentation didn't match with what I found inside the control box of the machine.
    I decided to do as I read on the forum post. I connected a + to the probe board and - to the spindle bit, then setup mach3 with pin 15.
    My HY3040 was working pretty well, I then connected wires to the +5v I found on the board and passed gnd to the spindle bit.
    Finally, I started the spindle in probe state from mach3. It went on and when I touched the spindle it stopped, but I did it just a moment and detached the plate and spindle continued moving. I repeated and seeing that it stopped only when touching, I didn't detach for some 3 or 5 seconds and boom! A capacitor on the plate turned black!
    HY3040 stopped functioning and I read in mach3 "Emergency stop". the wired control (hand held) of the machine also now is not turning on. I attach the board photo and I hope someone tell me if it is repairable and what parts probably must replaced (I have not the datasheet of this controller, but by eye investigation I see at least a transistor and that capacitor, but don't know their type too).

Thank you

Re: burned breakout board!

Why would you use +5V and ground to make your probe work. The probe is only a short between two points, you should have used ground and a input not the 5v+.

If you are lucky only the cap and the voltage regulator has died, but if you are unlucky more on the board could be damaged.

I'm not sure, but that does not look to be a expensive breakout board, maybe it would be best to upgrade it to a better instead. With some better documentation.

It was just a simple foolish mistake I'm now sorry about it!

Fortunately, I have a brand new breakout board available but also without documentation and I'm not sure if I can replace it!

If possible please have a look and if it is the one, let me know what is the right pin to use for the Probe.

my new board is of this kind:
    CNC 5 Axis Breakout Board for Stepper Motor Driver Gi | eBay

I also attach another photo if the link got dead!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new-board.jpg  

I decided to perform the replacement as it seems that it is not very hard. I made new post in the forum asking help for the pinout conversion between the burned and new breakout.