Got off the phone earlier today with a seller, talking about the differences between the two types of lm guides whether it be nsk/thk/hiwin etc..

It came down to him saying that 2 races are very capable, have very little backlash (if any)

He said 4 races typically have maybe a 10% increase in ratings (I'm just starting to look into lm guides), which I haven't backed up myself with research (don't know what values I'm looking for really).

It was also mentioned that many people tout the 4 race bearings as superior due to nsk and thk really hyping them up and using it as a marketing ploy to single out the 2 race types.

Thoughts, opinions, and real world experiences appreciated.

____

I'm considering a machine based on 2 race hiwin lm guides. Cutting envelope of ~36"x48". Combination of wood/aluminum/(steel may be ambitious, but would be interesting to try)

At a very basic level here is my thoughts on design (all based on 20-30mm 2 race rails and aluminum extrusion from 80/20. Acme drive)

X axis gantry, 2 rails that support the z axis w/ 1 bearing block on each rail.

Y axis, 1 rail on each side mounted to the moving gantry via 2 bearing blocks (per side)

I'm undecided on what size extrusions to use. I was going back and forth between 25-5010 and 3060 for the gantry w/ .75" aluminum side plates for the gantry
For anyone who is on the zone alot and can think of a good build log that goes along those lines, drop me a link