586,275 active members*
3,240 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Recommendation on Endmill for cutting Kydex plastic

Recommendation on Endmill for cutting Kydex plastic

One of my first production projects on the Tormach will be cutting Kydex parts for our Taser holsters. I will strip cut the parts to fit into a jig (about 10 pcs at .080 each), clamp from one side, do about 90% of the operation, then set another clamp-remove the previous clamp and finish the other side. My question is what endmill would you folks recommend? I am thinking something along the lines of 3/16" dia x 1" flute length.
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Re: Recommendation on Endmill for cutting Kydex plastic

I'd probably go with an o-flute endmill

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    I'd probably go with an o-flute endmill
    After what I just read about Kydex, I would go with a good 3 flute coated carbide end mill

Kydex cuts easily with pretty much anything sharp-- play with feeds and speeds to avoid melting. With 0.080" material you might look at down-cut endmills if you get any lift on the parts. 3/16"x1" is a lot of stickout though, so heavy fast cuts could cause deflection problems.

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    One of my first production projects on the Tormach will be cutting Kydex parts for our Taser holsters. I will strip cut the parts to fit into a jig (about 10 pcs at .080 each), clamp from one side, do about 90% of the operation, then set another clamp-remove the previous clamp and finish the other side. My question is what endmill would you folks recommend? I am thinking something along the lines of 3/16" dia x 1" flute length.
    A 1" long 3/16" endmill will be like a piece of spaghetti. It will greatly reduced your feedrate, give a poor surface finish, and will be very easy to break. You'll get your parts done faster using a shorter tool. I'd recommend no more than 1/2" flute length. That one change will more than double your allowable feedrate.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    Kydex cuts easily with pretty much anything sharp-- play with feeds and speeds to avoid melting. With 0.080" material you might look at down-cut endmills if you get any lift on the parts. 3/16"x1" is a lot of stickout though, so heavy fast cuts could cause deflection problems.
    Quinco has a line of right hand cut, left hand spiral end mills that will push your thin material down on the fixture surface rather than trying to lift it.

The right hand cut left hand spiral end mills are shown on page 57 in their online catalog.

Good luck,

Steve Seebold
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.