587,030 active members*
3,901 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

V2XT Programming

Well gang, I just took the plunge and bought a 1998 vintage V2XT - in real nice and clean shape. Supposedly only used by a little old lady on weekends to engrave name plates for stamping dies.

Although I can't really afford to buy it, I simply got tired of begging and pleading to have vendors do work for me. The machine is a bit lighter than the TM1 Haas that I'd preferred to have bought, BUT the cost was MUCH less plus we can pretty much service it ourselves.

I'll just have to run the machine a bit easier than I could have run the TM1, Even so, it still will outpace my other cam making operations and should do just fine.

Not being at all adept at running or understanding G code, I'm looking for something in the way of "easy to get and use" and/or inexpensive software (preferrably parametric) that will enable me to draw stuff and then have the code output so that the V2XT will run it??? In that veign, I was searching about and found something called EZFeatureMill that Bridgeport sold in/around 1996.

Supposedly, it was very helpful to mold shoppes in that it parametrically enabled them to draw stuff in 3D. Then they could have the V2XT cut it with the tool paths that it spit out. Any info on this software would be appreciated (good, bad or indifferent).

Anybody have it to sell (older version 2 or 3 or 4 perhaps that is not being used anymore)? Or is a low rent starter version still available??? What other programs are there that would enable me to get up and running ASAP with the machine???

I've got a guy who wants to mill some "designer series" billet golf club putter heads that the machine could make (we already made simpler versions on the EzTrak I have). This machine should make it far easier than doing it on the 'Trak as the 'Trak was only 2.5D.

Any members out there who have 4th axis experience with this machine? That is the next upgrade that HAS to be made as we really need to start lobe milling cams with it ASAP. BTW, also looking for 4th axis "add on" kit for the machine.

Any input on 4th axis upgrade/programming issues that I'll can expect to face is also appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help and input....

NC Cams-
    Welcome to the V2XT Club. I have a 1993 model, but I only used it with the original control for a very short time before the mother board fried. I have since updated the computer, and I'm running the machine on Mach3.

There is a Yahoo group specifically for V2XT's, it's called V2XT (shocking! :-) ). Most of the members there are running the stock computer, and may be able to assist with your questions.

NEATman

EZFeatureMill 2.0

I caught an old post of yours and saw the EZFeatureMill olderviersion reference. My mill is older Bpt R2G4 Series I but I have some bundles of software but none complete. You may have moved on but If you ran across any EZFeatureMill 2.0 I have the full legal 7 disk set but disk 6 will not read. A copy of EFFM.6 would put me in business.

I also have the Bridgeport EZ-MILL version 6.21 B.C. Part No. 1942925 from 1993 however, it appears that some coolant has splashed on it or a Coke. So it will not read either.

Any sharing of partial copies is great with me. Thanks

I've had my Series 2 - V2XT for a number of years and, while it does give me some fits now and then, overall it's a great machine for my hobby & light commercial work.

You mentioned a 4th axis. I've put together a quick indexer with a step motor and a BasicStamp circuit board. The input was from the "Mist Coolant" M-code which triggers an index. It was crude but suits my purposes. The attached picture is of the setup where I'm putting an 1/8 inch helical groove in a brass slieve. It's all kit bashed but might give you some ideas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Indexer on Mill-s.jpg  

Our needs are a bit more commercial in nature - we currently go thru various gyrations to lobe mill automotive camshafts. Although Rich's idea would work for hobby or indexing work, we need true, simultaneous 4th axis machinig capability.

Chances are, we'll be going with Troyke and will use the built in 4th axis capability of the DX-32 of the Series I V2XT servos that we've recently taken delivery of.

IT would be nice to kit bash but we don't have the time or technical skills to do the building and/or integrating/special programing. In light of the built in capability of the DX-32, it will simply be "easier" (???) to affix a OEM-like servo and the OEM style Troyke 4th axis and make parts.

From what we've been told, a properly configured 4th axis should plug into the existing harnesses and the DX-32 should "see it" and simply run....

We'll see.....

Quote Originally Posted by NEATman View Post
    NC Cams-
    Welcome to the V2XT Club. I have a 1993 model, but I only used it with the original control for a very short time before the mother board fried. I have since updated the computer, and I'm running the machine on Mach3.
    Hi NEATman, I stumbled onto this post searching for Mach3 / v2xt users as this is exactly what I am in the process of researching (to do to mine).

I've purchased a used Siemens touch panel tablet PC with XP installed and have just started reading the M3 user manual (all 157 pages!!)

I would love to hear any feed back from you or even details of your hardware hook ups.

Thanks for your time.
    9 1/2
    B.C.I.T. Machinist CNC

I am planning on buying a V2XT in the very near future and I would like to run it with Mach3. Any information about what I would need to upgrade to get this to work would be very helpful.
    I would also like to be able to connect a probe and collect a point cloud. Has anyone done that successfully with the V2XT?

lavrgs:I'm having trouble comprehending why you 'd want to convert at PC based servo driven machine lit the V2ST to a stepper based system like Mach.

Granted, the Mach is using a much better/contemporary PC but, still, to go from a fully developed PC/Servo driven machine to a DIY step/direction stepper driven deal seems like complexity in search of a need.

If yo do go in that direction, let me know however, as I'd be interested in buying the computer, HDD and the BMDC, AUXBOB, AXISBOB and the AUF cards from the machine and maybe even some servo' motors..

Hey NC I'm a complete nuuuub - When I posted that I didn't know that Mach wouldn't work with servos. My issue is that I don't really want too floppy-net all the data into the machine. I guess there is a serial port but since I don't have the machine yet I obviously can't experiment with file transfers.
    If you are a V2XT user I would like to get more info on its capabilities. Since it doesn't have a tool changer I won't be doing any lights out machining but I am curious about how it does on "swoopy" shapes and if there are improvements that should/could/must be made to get smooth surfaced parts.
    The machine I am considering is owned by a Journeyman machinist friend who is renowned for how he takes care of his equipment BUT he wants $12K for the machine. I have seen units for cheaper but I am not knowledgeable enough to ask the right questions and buying something like this long distance does not make me feel comfortable. There is a unit that is about 3 hours away that I could inspect for $7500 but once again I'm not sure I could see a problem if there was one. I have also seen units for more money so I feel the price is fair. It's just the bargain hunter side of me that would rather spend less, and this is more for a hobby with the intent of expanding.
    I realize I can get quite a few parts made for $12K but I like the challenge of making things myself. I just want to minimize frustration...if that's possible...
    The other (mild) concern is not having manual capability.

LAVRGS. What you want pretty much doesn't exist as in a 7500 dollar 3D mold capable 3 axis mill. What is adequate for a machinist is NOT necessarily what you need for true 3D work.

The V2XT is semi mold capable, as it does 3D but not as well as others. It is also NOT manually operable unless you send a lot of money to convert it to an Extrak style manual ball screw setup. Even if you do only X and Y are convertible, Z isn't.

What you want is essentially a TRUE 3D capable EzTrak albeit with the Elrod Z axis as opposed to the lame for 3D work, cantilever 3Rd axis that the Eztrak came with from the factory.

You're best hope is to find a cherry 3D eztrak with the Elrod drive on Z axis. This is essentialy a V2ZT albeit without the dedicated 3D drive that the V2XT has. SOme Extraks came with the Elrod drive, most didn't.

The V2XT will get you going right away but it won't allow manual operation unless you spend a load of money and then it aindt totally manually operable..

An Extrak, if you find the proper one, will give you manual capabilities but unless it is already fitted with the Elrod Z drive setup, youll have to spend a bunch of money to get what you want. See Elrod Machine for their Z drive setup fo the Bridgeprot mills and Extraks.

Or you can find an Haas TM1 for a bit more, and I'm pretty sure you can get them with a tool chagner and get a true 3 axis mold capable machine.

As is usually the case, with cnc, capability costs you MONEY, how much capability do you want to spend for?.

Had I to do it over, I would not have spent the money for the V2XT and gone the Haas route even though it would have cost me nearly 2x as much. We make our choices and spend our money accordingly

Quote Originally Posted by NC Cams View Post
    Had I to do it over, I would not have spent the money for the V2XT and gone the Haas route even though it would have cost me nearly 2x as much. We make our choices and spend our money accordingly
    I agree. Though I am committed to my V2 and enjoy using it. This is definitely a hobby machine. You can spend money on it and improve things, for sure, but I too would rather have bought a Haas.

Having said that, it is a truly competent hobby machine and I'm having a ton of fun making some pretty neat stuff.

Currently I'm neck deep in a collapsible telescope build for my brother.

Owen
    9 1/2
    B.C.I.T. Machinist CNC

Smile

lavrgs-
    Mach3 will certainly work with servos. You just need to use modern drives that accept step and direction input. Such as these:
    http://www.machmotion.com/index.php?...5556a7180d193c
    These are brushless to boot - the only parts that wear on these are the bearings. I have no affiliation with Machmotion, but they do use the Danaher motors and drives - and I know that they are good quality as I know the engineers who designed the drives.

My V2XT was converted to steppers and a VFD for the spindle about 3 years ago, and I've been pretty happy with it in that time. The main reason I wanted to go with Mach3 is that it is MODERN and is reliable, easy to program, easy to update, and not flaky like older electronics tend to be. Plus, I like a challenge & this is a hobby machine. I had swapped the original motherboard a couple times in my machine and finally felt that it had to go. Yes, my machine runs stepper motors, but I have it set up with accurate limit switches so I can repeatably home the machine. Currently I have about 60" per minute rapid moves - sure not the fastest, but I have never lost a step with the machine. Where I worked a few years ago had been tossing litterally dumpster fulls of mechanics & electronics - which is where I obtained the stepper motors, drives cables and even the computer - so all the conversion cost me was time and some frustration. It can be used for production work in this manner, as I have recently finished over 300 somewhat tricky parts with this machine - all the parts were within a couple thou - and made decent money doing it with a machine that I have little more than $1500 invested in. This one job paid for the machine 5+ times over. I have also adapted a 4th axis to the machine and I've made some prototype barrel cam mechanisms for work with it. I have not taken the time to build a probe yet, but it is something that I'll do at some point - it's on the list of things to build. Plus, if you do get the machine, I can send you solidworks models & drawings of parts that I made to add handwheels to the X & Y axes. I've also used the Z manually, simply by removing the cover below the Z motor & turning the pulley with the motor disabled. I intend to add a handle here some time, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I was able to buy the machine very cheaply ($600) as the computer board was fried - plus the previous owner is a good friend of mine and happened onto an awesome deal for a large enclosed machine with a tool changer that I helped arrange... (I wish I had a bigger shop!)

I would suggest that if you are committed to doing a retrofit, you can accomplish it for about the $10000 total ($1500 mechanics ~$6000 electronics + other stuff) if you find a machine that is sound mechanically but outdated electronically, and fit a Machmotion Prototrak or similar complete system to it. You may want to start small and try out the software (free for a few hundred lines of code) for a few hundred dollars with an inexpensive stepper drive and some motors.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

NEATman
    Keith

No argument Keith, as we both made a score on that V2XT upgrade. Grin.

My point is/was the the prior member seemed to be tire kicking as in buying an operating one and then converting it all the while keeping it operating in the process.

When you pay $8-14K for a functioning V2XT, add Mach and another 10K into a retrofit for the nice servo's you sent the link to, you're in the neighborhood of being able to buy a Haas TM-1 and have a far better machine in the process.

WHen I looked into retrofitting my EzTrak, I looked into the availability of hobby grade servos & amps. At the time, Mach didn't support servos at all, at least bolt together hobby grade which is why I ruled it out. Besides, couldn't afford 4-6K worth of servo's and amps whey I already had functioning ones at the time.

IT is too bad you didn't offer to buy/take the stuff they were dumping - you could have crafted up a neat little resale /salvage business. And if you had done it, someone would have probably have screwed you for being so creative.

BTW, how's the portable dialysis machine coming? I could use one as i had kidney failure in January.

Tire kicking is one think, pipe dreaming is something totally different, especially when it comes to a functioning VMC like the V2XT.