586,647 active members*
2,362 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help to identify this mill

Almost all the tags have been removed from the mill. The main control cabinet is missing as well. The only tags on it are warning labels or the one bridgeport badge on the front. No tags with model or power or year or serial number. Any information on the mill would be greatly appreciated. I have googled bridgeport mills over and over and have not found one that looks like this. Thanks guys.

Attachment 259904Attachment 259906Attachment 259908

Re: Help to identify this mill

Hi, I think this may be a Bridgeport boss 5 or older, we have a boss 8 and is a lot more advanced than the one shown in the pictures.

Hope this helps.

Jack Hawkins

Hawkins Engineering Ltd

Looks like some early version Series 2 BOSS rigid ram castings judging from the column - knee - table, as well as the MDI control pannel, but the rest of the head casting sure does look very strang. Perhaps it has more of a resemblence to the Interact head with the variable speed DC spindle drive? The Z-axis drive looks to be a servomotor with timing belt to a hollow ball screw with the quill running down the center just like on a regular BOSS. Very strange indeed, as the Interact models I know have twin external ball scews actuating the quill, and their z-axis motor is top-mounted. Looks like there is some sort of joystick mount on the right front corner of the table. Perhaps this design pre-dates the heidenhain controls of the known lnteract design. Any serial number stamped on the y-axis part (under the rubber cover sheet)?

ih4by4

It is a series II for sure,( Interact ) what model number, it is hard to tell, there will be some numbers stamped on the front of the Knee, this will help to find what it is
    Mactec54