586,598 active members*
3,441 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Whats the Repair Service like in Oz

Hi All, Just joined the forum and spent hours looking at some great posts.

Just to introduce myself quickly - I'm a disillusioned Brit. just about to arrive in OZ within the next 3 to 4 months and swear my allegiance to the Oz way of life.....
    Anyway, I'm CNC machine tool service engineering specializing in Fanuc, Siemens and a few other controllers, lathes, mills, mechanical, electrical and electronics.
    Q:- Question is what is the industry like in regards to getting your machine tools fixed. Is there a shortage of skilled engineers willing to get there hands dirty and fix machines ??
    And what are the best areas to start. We are hoping to settle in Melbourne area but are also considering Brisbane.
    Any Advice will be appreciated
    regards Dave

Quote Originally Posted by bionic-bean View Post
    Just to introduce myself quickly - I'm a disillusioned Brit.
    Is there any other kind? ... Just kidding, Can't really help you on the work side of things, but as far as swearing allegiance goes, first thing you want to do is pick a footy team, if you're going to live in Melbourne, choose an AFL team, in Brisbane go for an NRL team, doesn't matter which one, but NEVER change your team. Also make fun of AFL if you choose NRL and vice versa. If you want to change team or code, best to move to a different state first.

Not much else you need to know, except beer HAS to be cold, to the point of freezing, of course once it forms ice crystals it is spoiled, not that you can waste it, simply work out the best system of keeping it near freezing (but not quite). So long as the first one is so cold it feels like it is burning your throat, and/or makes you short of breath, you're good.

Good Luck !!!

Russell.

Thank God, thats all I have to worry about

Thanks Russel,
    If all I have to worry about is the coldness of the beer and which team to support, then, I've already made it to become an Aussie.
    I guess the decision where to life ( Melbourne or Brisbane ) is the least of my worries......
    No where did I leave that refrigerator.........:banana:
    Cheers Dave

Dave,

Both Brisbane and Melbourne have opportunities for CNC Service Engineers. You can e-mail me directly and I will give you a starting list of those you may wish to contact prior to your arrival. The head offices for a few companies are in Melbourne and the Head office for HAAS is in Brisbane, other than that good luck with the move, it must not be an easy task to move so far away from family. One thing Russel forgot to mention is to, FORGET THOSE BLOODY PORK SAUSAGES AND WELCOME TO THE LAND OF BBQ'd BEEF SNAGS, oh and by the way, if you are ever caught cooking a BBQ without a beer in your hand, I think the minimum penalty is about 20 years.

Have Fun!! :cheers:

Regards

Dave
    "A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Melbourne or Sydney?

Quote Originally Posted by bionic-bean View Post
    Hi All, Just joined the forum and spent hours looking at some great posts.

Just to introduce myself quickly - I'm a disillusioned Brit. just about to arrive in OZ within the next 3 to 4 months and swear my allegiance to the Oz way of life.....
    Anyway, I'm CNC machine tool service engineering specializing in Fanuc, Siemens and a few other controllers, lathes, mills, mechanical, electrical and electronics.
    Q:- Question is what is the industry like in regards to getting your machine tools fixed. Is there a shortage of skilled engineers willing to get there hands dirty and fix machines ??
    And what are the best areas to start. We are hoping to settle in Melbourne area but are also considering Brisbane.
    Any Advice will be appreciated
    regards Dave
    So did U end up here, Melb. Better than Brisbane, unless U like sweating in the winter!

Well, Funny you should say, but NO..... Still stuck in darkest , deepest, coldest, Blightly..... We had to pospone the move due to our house buying pulling out at the elevth hour... ...
    Still I guess the great OZ continent will still be there in a few more months and not drifted into the snow caps of the south !!!
    Just starting to wonder when we will touch down..as we cant realy come out until the house has be squared up and sold....
    Thanks buy the way for the interest and please keep the bear on the chiller plate for me..:cheers:
    Dave

Hi Dave

I'm a Service Engineer for a machine tool manufacturer in Melboure and we are currently looking for a experenced CNC service engineer.

Give us a PM and I'll provide you some details if you interested.

Looking forward to meeting you.

P.S. Poms aren't that bad, I married one.

Thanx

Boros

Quote Originally Posted by qtronpowerson View Post
    So did U end up here, Melb. Better than Brisbane, unless U like sweating in the winter!
    Well lucky he wasn't thinking of coming to Cairns, anything under 30deg celcius is considered a cold snap around here

Have you managed to escape yet Dave ?

Russell.

I'll most probably stirr the pot up with this one, Dave, but it has to be done.
    All the hardcore, get their hands dirty, skilled machinists and repairers are in Melbourne. (Only the wussies live in Brisbane.) :stickpoke

We've got a British ex-pat working here in our toolroom, (has been in Aus for 10+yrs).

He drinks almost as much beer as the rest of us, lives up in the Dandy ranges, follows the AFL like a fanatic, but seems to go very quiet when the Ashes is on telly...

That said, he reckons he could only ever go back to England for a holiday. :cheers:

Oh, quick heads up on the usual climate around here...

(Dec-Feb)- Quite often around the 104F mark, especially in Feb.

At all other times of the year, it's anywhere between 53 and 85. (Quite often in the same week.)

Article99, yer everywhere ain't ya? ^5

Hehehe. Not quite everywhere, Tas. How have you been doing of late? He said.