586,546 active members*
3,375 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

contoured cuts on thin sheets

I'm starting to make model railroad and dollhouse kits with my laser, and would like to make my own clapboard and other sidings.

For a model railroad, this means a saw tooth profile about 0.060 to 0.125 pitch, about 0.020 deep for the 0.125 size
    For a dollhouse, this means a saw tooth profile about 0.5 pitch, about 0.060 deep

in either case it's on thin poplar or alder, on ripped strips about twice the profile depth

Any suggestion for how to do these profiles? I considered having a set of wire EDM knives for a jointer made, but that sounds like the devil to set up properly, and what do I do when they wear?

Is 'broaching' by dragging the same sort of form tool reasonable? Or using a lathe turned circular form tool, sort of like the ones used for form cutting in metal?

Re: contoured cuts on thin sheets

Try standardizing your sheet size into something like what we buy as 4x8 (ft) sheets of plywood - instead yours might by 4" x 8" once they're cut down but that gives you a target size for multiples in the stock size you buy the alder or poplar in.
    Next layout a pattern that duplicates the general look of cedar siding or clapboard siding like you might find on turn of the century houses. The cedar siding or roofing done with longer tapered slabs only shows the lower and thicker sections and when they're laid down individually they make up the look I believe you're trying to copy. Using various freeform lines and your laser power and speed settings will give you a variety of results that will imprint the surface where you want the patterns and obviously cut thru when you have the "4x8" or whatever sheet size you want to work with. You can buy something pretty similar from one of your popular railroad catalogs but their price is really steep for very little coverage. Give it a try and remember that the final impression comes from some level of stain or finish over the semi-burned areas so they will look totally different once you coat them up (also done before you slice the 4x8 pcs if you want to be efficient.

The laser will give a specific look that "laser connoisseur's" will recognize but few others will. The same approach can be used with a desktop cnc system - just using various cutter profiles to gain different effects. Remember too that our eyes are absolutely great at recognizing straight lines from "handmade for the effect" lines - the later will look far better so play with the lines until they give the effect you like. Good luck.

WP25maker

No, you're misunderstanding - I'm trying to make HO sized clapboard siding - lots of it. I'll cut it up with the laser, add castings and instructions, etc, and sell as kits.
    Yes, I know I can buy from NorthEastern or Midwest, but that gets really expensive really fast when making 1000 dollhouse kits.

Using a CNC vertical mill or router, you should be able to make these sawtooth profiles by using a 90 degree pointed tool and stepping over the 1/8" each pass. I suppose you could also make a special form tool and use a horizontal mill, but that would take a big investment to save a small amount of time.
    Andrew Werby
    Website