586,708 active members*
2,699 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: CNC Driver

Page 1 of 2 12

CNC Driver

I think I made a mistake by getting a Dongda TS-3040C-H80 cnc machine off ebay. I can not find a device driver for it anywhere. Not even from the seller(everything is in Chinese). Can anyone tell me where to find one. It shows up as "unknown Device" on my computer and no matter what I do I can not get it to connect with the computer. I get error; no device driver found. I am using BobCAD-CAM program, HELP!

Re: CNC Driver

Find a model number on whatever board the usb plugs into, then search for that.

Should not need a device driver. Install Mach3, configure and tune.
    Here is a somewhat helpful translation page to help you set it up
    http://www.joyfay.com/media/import/E...rCNCrouter.pdf

Also, Bobcad is only going to generate the programs to run on the machine. It does not connect directly to the macine. You create a program with Bobcad and save it in the form of a G-code file, then open that file with Mach 3 or whatever software your machine uses to operate.

Bob cad doesn't give me the option to save as a g-code.
    I don't know what the board is. From the parallel port it plugs into a reg sub.
    I downloaded mach 3 and it says I need a license no.

Also I have predator cnc controler from Bob cad for dnc to send programs to the cnc but I get unable to communicate check comm settings

DNC is just for when you have an external controller that you need to send a file to. For example, your machine has a computer on it that is a dedicated controller and you send files via RS232 port (serial port) from your laptop to your machines computer. It's a computer to computer communication that just transfers files. If you have Mach 3, you really don't need to use DNC. You just throw your G-code files onto a thumb drive or use a network folder and open the files directly from Mach 3. DNC and Mach 3 are really not a common combination these days. I'm still cutting for work today and I'm carrying two thumb drives in my pocket as I type. I use them to transfer G-code from Bobcad to my machine so I can open them in Mach 3.

All Bobcad can output is G-code when it comes to your machine. What version of Bobcad are you using? If it's a newer version (V24 or newer, maybe even V23), you just right click on the "Milling Job" in the CAM tree and select "Post". This generates the G-code and then you save it to a folder. I save mine directly to my thumb drive, then I walk over and load it into Mach 3 at my machine (my desktop is in my house, my CNC router is in my detatched shop/garage). You can choose to save the G-code as an .NC file, .TAP file, or .TXT file, but no matter which you do, Mach 3 will open it just the same.

My cnc does not have a port to put a thumb drive into. Everything is done from the computer. I can't even turn on the spindle to calibrate. I turn on the control box by the on/off switch. There are no other controls or ports.

can you post some pictures of the unit and what is there?

Sounds like it's one of the regular Chinese 3040 routers, but with a USB controller instead of parallell-port based. So he would need a driver for the controller. And a plug-in for Mach3.

Any CDs coming with the router? Got a link to the eBay listing?

Quote Originally Posted by mikesbeehives View Post
    My cnc does not have a port to put a thumb drive into. Everything is done from the computer. I can't even turn on the spindle to calibrate. I turn on the control box by the on/off switch. There are no other controls or ports.
    You will have a PC connected to the CNC controller, if you have the BobCAD software and the Mach3 software on the same PC then you only need to load the G code from the folder where you have saved it into the Mach3 software in order to run the CNC.

If you have the BobCAD software on a different PC to the one you have the Mach3 software on that is connected to your CNC then you would transfer G code files on a thumb drive simply from one PC to the other, it is a very simple process, you don`t try to put G code into the CNC box that comes with the Router.

Regards
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

I can not remember the last time I was in so far over my head.

BobCam will open drawing files and output (post) G-code files. Mach3 will open G-code files and output signal (control), thru your printer port, to your "box". The box will then send signals to the motors.

The only driver your control should need is Mach3. It is not a "device" like a "printer". There may be other options available, but not required.

Open Mach3 configuration (ports and pins) and make sure it is set to this:
    Motor step/speed parameters settings
    X axis is 320 steps per millimeter. speed is 2000, acceleration is 300
    X axis is 320 steps per millimeter. speed is 2000, acceleration is 200
    Z axis is 400 steps per millimeter. speed is 800, acceleration is 100

Motor outputs
    X axis enabled, step pin# 16, dir pin# 17, dir low, step low, step port 1, dir port 1
    y axis enabled, step pin# 4, direction pin# 5, direction low, step low, step port 1, dir port 1
    X axis enabled, step pin# 6, direction pin# 7, direction low, step low, step port 1, dir port 1
    A zero's and and not enabled
    B zero's and and not enabled
    C zero's and and not enabled
    Spindle enabled, step pin# 1, dir low not enabled, step low is enabled

This is your start setting. There will probably need to be some changes, but you must start with some basic settings if you expect the computer to be able to communicate.

As far as the thumb drive... Most of us use 2 computers (or more...)
    The computer that is plugged into your box, would be used ONLY for controlling the CNC. A second computer is used for drawing (BobCad/Cam). Hence transferring the G-code by thumb drive.

I have gotten the G-codes from Bobcad to Mach 3. Now what. I think I'm gaining on it.

It is a chinese 3040, I have a parallel port connection or an adapter to use a usb port. neither makes any differance. A cd came with it which I loaded everything, now it's in a RAR file. There is a driver, which I have extracted, with no results.

I'll give this a try. There is no on/off switch for the actual spindle, only for the control box. I tried doing a spindle calibration and it wanted me to start the spindle at any speed which I can not do.

Now you said something that requires a driver.
    You will need drivers to make the USB conversion.

The Mach3 setup should remain the same, but it will not look for a USB port.
    You will need to install the USB to parallel driver to emulate the printer port.

Attachment 258966Attachment 258968Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-11-30 12.59.45.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	258970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-11-30 13.00.11.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	258972 Let me know if you need more.

Have you checked this link?, maybe some info that might help.

Beginners guide to the TS-3040C-H80 CNC Mill | RobertShady.com

To start the spindle go to the MDI screen in Mach3 and type in a spindle speed eg S5000 followed by M03 and press Enter on your keyboard, that should start your spindle for you. Or you can simply go to the right hand side of your Mac3 main screen and there is a Spindle Start/Stop button on the screen to click on, if there is a default speed alread set then just press to start if not then type a speed in the box below the button.

Because you don`t have any physical controls knobs, switches etc on the CNC box all movements of the Router are commanded from Mach3.

I see from your photos there is a 25 pin "D" plug in the back of the CNC box, what is on the other end of that White cable ? ? Is it the same 25 pin "D" type connector ? ?

If so then you should have the same on your PC but most PCs these days don`t have that old Parallel port, if it does then all you need is the Parallel port driver that comes with the Mach3 software and is something that you would/should have installed when installing Mach3.

If it has a USB at the other end then as "JEST" advises there should be a USB driver on the CD.

If you have followed the instructions from "JEST" for setting up your motors you should now be able to again go to your MDI screen and input an axis movement, say X100 F500 and the machine should move in the X axis, or you can just press the "Tab" key on your PC keyboard and the "MPG" should appear on the right of your screen, then just use the arrows to move the axis around to test them out.

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

You may need to plug the unit in and go to the Windows Device Manager, find the unknown device and manually update the driver to use the one on the CD.

Page 1 of 2 12