586,919 active members*
2,678 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Ver 22 Functionality
Page 1 of 5 123

Ver 22 Functionality

Has anyone actually seen V22 yet?
    There isn't any information about it on the BObCAD website.
    I know it was shown at IMTS and I'm interested in some specific things.

1) Does it have toolpath/geometry associativity?
    2) Can Solids be modeled directly within V22?
    3) Can it import and export SAT, STEP and ParaSolid files?
    4) What type of Post-Processor setup does it have?
    5) Has anyone seen it actually output NC Code?
    6) What kind of toolpath verification does it have?
    7) How does it handle RS-232 Serial Communication and NC File editing?
    8) Is there an API or any kind of Macro support?

Version 22

Version 22 was shown at IMTS in Chicago. The resulting feedback was nothing but positive. Here are the answers to your questions below:

1. Yes. The system offers an associative job tree and a lot of new functions geared toward automation.
    2. Yes. All of the modeling, geometry construction and surface creation features in V21 are still in the system as well as other features to speed up design. The system is fully OpenGL so that you can draw with solids rather than only view a wireframe of the solid.
    3. Yes. STL has been added.
    4. Posting has been vastly improved and does not require scripting. Post can be defined by the user.
    5. Yes. Several hundred.
    6. There is new simulation and verification added that is superior to the V21.
    7. RS 232 has not changes.
    8. Right now there is no support for OpenAPI applications or scripting.

Hope this helps.
    CNC Dude

Hi Chris

Quote Originally Posted by CNCdude View Post
    8. Right now there is no support for OpenAPI applications or scripting.
    I bet that will come before too long but in the meantime.....lets start having some fun with all the new stuff we do have!:cheers:

Those big guys had better watch out! For Bobcad pricing with all these features they are bound to knock down some barriers

security

doesn't really apply to functionality but is the software still going to be code activated or will a security dongle be implemented?

We will see the final outcome as that is always up to the big guys but for now it will be dongle!

With all the hype HERE about V22, why doesn't BobCAD have any information about V22 on it's own website?

From a marketing standpoint, it makes absolutely ZERO sense to be hyping your own product everywhere but on your own website.

When will a demo be available?

Quote Originally Posted by tmarkoski View Post
    With all the hype HERE about V22, why doesn't BobCAD have any information about V22 on it's own website?

From a marketing standpoint, it makes absolutely ZERO sense to be hyping your own product everywhere but on your own website.

When will a demo be available?
    Tim M.

This might be a good question for BCC to answer, because we are only BCC users. This is a Valid Point on the Subject of V22. I was also wondering why there is no mention on the BCC Forum with the exceptions of threads that I presonally started.

Hopefully Chris will stop in and Chat with us about this, but they (BCC) I imagine are very busy Developing V22.

I wish there was an easy answer to your questions.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

After being in a position as a Sales technical support I can answer that one (at least with my opinion).

They are still trying to sell V21. If they advertised the V22 on their sight then those that look at it would not want anything at all to do with Version 21. Sending out the hype and showing a direct comparison is different. They would lose all sells until V22 released and this would not be good. Right now they are saying....Someday (we can't tell you when) we will have V22 but for now here is a very good V21. If they advertise it there then it will look like it is ready to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by tjones View Post
    After being in a position as a Sales technical support I can answer that one (at least with my opinion).

They are still trying to sell V21. If they advertised the V22 on their sight then those that look at it would not want anything at all to do with Version 21. Sending out the hype and showing a direct comparison is different. They would lose all sells until V22 released and this would not be good. Right now they are saying....Someday (we can't tell you when) we will have V22 but for now here is a very good V21. If they advertise it there then it will look like it is ready to buy.
    That's just pure nonsense.

All the major players in this industry are always advertising what is coming in the next major release.

It's never stopped Mastercam or SolidWorks from making a sale by advertising the status of the next version and it's release schedule.

Mastercam has a direct link to information about Version X2 on it's main page.
    Do you honestly believe it's stopping them from selling Version X right now?

It appears to be nothing more than laziness to not put something up on the Website especially when their Sales Director is posting information about it here.

What BobCAD has coming looks really good and is a big move forward.
    It would be nice if they took affirmative steps to let people and potential customers, like myself, know what we can expect in detail.

Will V22 support Lathe?

I think the information provided on this site alone gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect.... don't you? Also keep in mind that there is a ton of testing being done with the new V22 also. Until the testing is through it shouldn't be advertised on our site.
    Never be affraid to learn something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Launch View Post
    I think the information provided on this site alone gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect.... don't you? Also keep in mind that there is a ton of testing being done with the new V22 also. Until the testing is through it shouldn't be advertised on our site.
    No, I don't think so.
    NOTHING on this site presents V22 in a comprehensive and concise manner.

Testing has nothing to do with what to expect in the next version.
    If that was the case, why show it at IMTS at all?
    That show is primarily to make immediate and short-term sales.

I have a specific need for a production CAM system for Mill & Turn.
    I'm ready to buy right now. The few bits I could find about V22 look impressive.

I can't get any information about a pricing, a release date, Beta-Testing or evaluation availability.
    I can't get any information about Lathe support.
    As it stands right now, as a practical matter, V22 is nothing more than Vaporware.

(flame2)

Been there done that...nonsence or not. This is high sales volume not high price. Different world my friend.

The big players are at the tool show and they buy no matter the cost. Not to say some of us smaller ones wouldn't go. Just that we don't go to spend a $1000. Well I could go into a huge debate but I won't. But I can say I have been in more than a few sales meetings concerning machine and software.

I have never sat in on Bobcad so anything we say here is pure speculation. So why argue when a Bobcad tech or sales says anything......The fact is "we" the end user just do not know yet what or when to expect.

No, I don't think so.
    NOTHING on this site presents V22 in a comprehensive and concise manner.

Testing has nothing to do with what to expect in the next version.
    If that was the case, why show it at IMTS at all?
    That show is primarily to make immediate and short-term sales.

I have a specific need for a production CAM system for Mill & Turn.
    I'm ready to buy right now. The few bits I could find about V22 look impressive.

I can't get any information about a pricing, a release date, Beta-Testing or evaluation availability.
    I can't get any information about Lathe support.
    As it stands right now, as a practical matter, V22 is nothing more than Vaporware.
    Please understand that I'm not trying to get you upset but there is alot of information on the zone about our new software. If you have an immediate job you need to do let me know and we will do a demo to see if it can be done in V21. If not V22 will be out soon. Also this statement you have made is way off.(That show is primarily to make immediate and short-term sales.) Yes we sold alot of software atr the show however sales will come from this show for the next year and then some. (877)262-2231 Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Launch View Post
    Please understand that I'm not trying to get you upset but there is alot of information on the zone about our new software. If you have an immediate job you need to do let me know and we will do a demo to see if it can be done in V21. If not V22 will be out soon. Also this statement you have made is way off.(That show is primarily to make immediate and short-term sales.) Yes we sold alot of software atr the show however sales will come from this show for the next year and then some. (877)262-2231 Brett
    Does it support Lathe?

What will V22 cost?

Yes it will support the lathe. And I do not know what the cost will be on the version 22 will be as no figures have been released yet.

These are very good things to hear Launch. Thanks for the additional information on V22.:cheers:
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

If there isn't any REAL information coming from BobCAD before Halloween, all the postings in here are nothing more than shilling for a nonexistent product.

Either V22 exists and is available for sale or it isn't.

As it stands right now, it doesn't and it isn't.
    Not a single unbiased posting from someone who saw BobCAD at IMTS.

All this nonsense coming from BobCAD Sales about V22 is just that.
    It reminds of of when SurfCAM was hyping SurfCAM NC Solids.
    Plenty of hype for nothing but vaporware that was never released.

All this nonsense coming from BobCAD Sales about V22 is just that.
    It reminds of of when SurfCAM was hyping SurfCAM NC Solids.
    Plenty of hype for nothing but vaporware that was never released.
    Not to get off track from the thread, but Surfcam did release Surfcam Solids, and it sure made a big difference in utility. I didn't have to do 3D wireframe and surfacing any more. While it had it's limitations, it was still pretty slick. Of course, Surfcam comes with Solidworks now, and that is really nice.

Page 1 of 5 123