586,516 active members*
3,589 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Homing, Offsets,Tool Change Pos and Fusion 360:)
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: Homing, Offsets,Tool Change Pos and Fusion 360:)

I didn't like the hunting and picking aspect of using the HSM tools, so I made my own when I started working in SW and HSMXpress a while back.
    I know what all my tools are and sizes, so it was easy to do from memory.
    I found that since Fusion 360 Uses HSMWorks, that the very same tool library was shared. When I opened it the first time, there was my tools. I use the same Mach 3 tool tables in both my mills. I do add tools to the list, but those tools in there now will always be present to machine my current production parts. When they wear or break, identical replacements are installed. Just make sense for me to do that. I only have 23 tools. Not including my facemill.

Here is the first few snippets of code I got from the same setup as above with your Post Ray.

(Delta Bracket Face 1st Op)

(@ToolTable)
    (@Tool: 2 Champer Mill, [8], Max Depth=-0.0020)
    (@Tool: 3 , [16], Max Depth=-0.8294)
    (@Tool: 4 , [18], Max Depth=-1.3078)
    (@Tool: 5 , [11], Max Depth=-0.6000)
    (@Tool: 6 , [14], Max Depth=-1.2000)

(================================================= ======)
    (Job Notes
    ( Stock Size: X3.3500 Y1.5000 Z1.0000)
    ( STOCK/BLOCK,3.3500,1.5000,1.0000,0.0000,0.0000,1.0000 )

G90 G94 G17 G54
    G20
    (TOOL/DRILL,0.125,118.0000,1.000)
    #100 = [ 0.0000 ] (TCPosX)
    #101 = [ 0.0000 ] (TCPosY)
    #102 = [ 0.0000 ] (ParkPosX)
    #103 = [ 0.0000 ] (ParkPosY)

(Operation List
    ( 00:00:07 2.781045243723267e-309, Champer Mill, ZRange: -0.0020, 0.4000 )
    ( 00:00:11 2.781045243723267e-309, , ZRange: -0.8294, 0.6000 )
    ( 00:00:08 2.781045243723267e-309, , ZRange: -1.3078, 0.6000 )
    ( 00:00:32 2.781045243723267e-309, , ZRange: -0.6000, 0.6000 )
    ( 00:00:28 2.781045243723267e-309, , ZRange: -1.2000, 0.6000 )
    ( 00:01:26 Total Time )

(MSG Trace1, Instance 1)
    (Z Range: -0.0020, 0.4000)
    G54

(Toolchange Start)
    G53 G00 Z0.0000
    G53 X[#100] Y[#101]
    G49
    M05
    M09
    (Tool #8, Champer Mill)
    (TOOL/CHAMFER,0.2500,90.0000,0.2500)
    M06 T2
    G43 H2
    (MSG Load Tool #2, Champer Mill)
    M00
    (MSG Trace1, Instance 1)
    M03 S4500
    G04 P1.
    (Toolchange End)

I didn't put the smiley faces in the Gcode above, Ray.

There are some odd things in 360 for sure. They do actively answer questions over there though. They also welcome ideas and features that they may be able to implement on future updates. They are a little more transparent about where it's going and what they have been working on for awhile. It sounds like it will be getting better quickly for some things. The file convention has been discussed too.
    I dislike the dashboard and the way it is setup. I don't think you can download your models locally. You can all the output files, so I don't see the point of not allowing that. The designs are still ours. I will eventually setup a shared folder or two for the community if I model something that might be useful. I modeled my vise jaws to use as a fixture for use in the setup sheets. I will either print them out or just include the setup file right next to the Gcode for each job. Then the operators will have less broken tools from not asking me how to set something up.

For $300 annually, you get HSMWorks. I got SolidWorks for $20 a year, so I made out on software lately. Between SW and 360 in the near future, I should be covered.

Now I gotta say though that Turbocad nests my plasma parts very well. Very fast too. Sheetcam cuts them out very well. I will continue to use those for that machine. Time will tell on the turning aspect of 360.I haven't gotten that far along yet, but they are improving those modules as well.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Lee,

The funky color-coding is likely due to the annoying "Skimlinks" feature of the site, that seems to turn random words and phrases in posts into hyper-links to, basically, spam and junk web-sites. If you go to your profile->Settings->General settings, all the way at the bottom, you'll find the SkimLinks section. Un-check "Skimlinks enabled".

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Thanks, Ray. They rarely even take you to something pertinent, so I don't need to see them.

Ray, I have an email into John to see what we can do about the X switch condition. I will move the contact for the Z switch tomorrow and hopefully start running some cool Gcode.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    They are both red here.

Make sure you home the Z before you do this, though.
    Both red for me now as well. It was the skimlinks thing.
    Lee

Lee,

"X switch condition"???

Regards,
    Ray L.

My CAM program does a Z mode to clearance height before tool changes, and I just jog it higher to actually change the tool. My Z home switch is inoperative, so can't reference it at startup anyway. Obviously if I had the ATC I'd need to fix the switch and my post.

Lee,

"X switch condition"???

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Yeah. It don't work. I installed a brand new one. It is always on when enabled. I think it is in the BOB. Hoping anyway. I haven't really cared for this type of switch, but on the Pulsar, they are covered better than they were on the Torus. I had lots of intermittent trips on it. That is why I had the X switch disabled in the Torus. That is why John sent me the new switch that I swapped out today was to try it as a replacement on the Torus.

The other two switches work as intended. What is kinda weird about it too is that when I did enable the X switch, it showed both X and Y as being triggered in the diagnostics screen. Disable the X again and Y worked as it should again. In the Torus, those two switches were in the same box under the table. They are on different sides of the Pulsar though.
    Lee

Lee,

The three HOME switches are wire-Or'd, so if ANY of them work, the BOB is fine.

The X/Y home switches are much less important than the Z. More a convenience really. I don't have X or Y switches on my machine, haven't for some time. One of these days I'll get my new Hall Effect switches mounted on all three axes, but until then I only home Z.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by kvom View Post
    My CAM program does a Z mode to clearance height before tool changes, and I just jog it higher to actually change the tool. My Z home switch is inoperative, so can't reference it at startup anyway. Obviously if I had the ATC I'd need to fix the switch and my post.
    Yeah, I could do it like that. I'd like to get it working correctly though so in case I could come up with the cash for Ray's PDB and ATC in the future, the machine and our routines would be ready for it. I have been seriously considering getting those lately. I lost my operator for the Pulsar a few weeks back. She took a full time girlie job instead. So just me and my Son now. The ATC would be like hiring another part time employee with less back talk.
    Lee

Lee,

The three HOME switches are wire-Or'd, so if ANY of them work, the BOB is fine.

The X/Y home switches are much less important than the Z. More a convenience really. I don't have X or Y switches on my machine, haven't for some time. One of these days I'll get my new Hall Effect switches mounted on all three axes, but until then I only home Z.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Right. They are all three on the same pin. Pin 11. That left me scratching my head a bit as well. Why wasn't the Z showing triggered? Another Mach 3 quirk maybe? I am hoping Mach 4 and your PDB ATC will come out about the same time. I love Mach 3, but............like some GF's I have had, she's High Maintenance.

The Z axis is the only issue I had really with tool changes. With the Z switch functioning, just re-positioning the trigger should get me going short term.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by mmoe View Post

Does it strike anyone else as strange that you can't open anything or save anything in Fusion 360 native format (which would include CAM data) locally? I have some concerns about that given I occasionally work on jobs that come complete with NDAs, and I really don't want to put that data anywhere I can't control. I like the cloud idea for sharing when you want to, and I have no issue with cloud based licensing, but have I missed something or is the only way to interface with your files to store them on their server? That's a pretty huge fail on an otherwise excellent new product. It should be the user's choice whether or not they have to use the cloud for data storage (and you would think better for Autocad if you don't want or need to use their server space).

I noticed that you CAN actually work offline with Fusion 360.
    Something else odd about it is that when you do click to work offline, All folders open up in the left pane. You are no longer divided by the project folders. That is odd too. Maybe they will revamp that folder structure.
    You can also post that as an idea on the Fusion 360 forum to allow users to download locally. The models may actually be stored locally since it opens everything when working offline. Maybe just not where we are looking for them to be at. Some more research is needed there.

I kinda hope this is not the case. I use an SSD for my boot drive and all software gets loaded in it as well.
    I have a large HD for storing all my files and programs.
    If F360 is storing the part files by default into my SSD, then I need to be able to change that. It would fill up pretty quick.
    Lee

I was working a bit on my home switches this AM and found that while X axis does have a cover to keep swarf off, Y does not. It would also have to be a plastic cover if one were installed. Switch is on the saddle and the stop bar on the base. I am more diligent than my Son when we do the wash down, but stuff still gets packed in there easily. I'll snap a picture later. If I was wanting to use the Y axis home, I would have to do something there. Plastic cover or different type switch.

I was contemplating replacing the switches with a different type too. I would first need to find the little male din plugs that size to utilize the same wiring. Then I could select a switch type and design the mounts. Then figure out the power setup in that wiring. It all sounds a bit involved and considering that X and Y are not really relevant in a typical tool change, ATC or manual, then that work would only be needed if I wanted them for limits.
    The Z axis has covers and is up out of the way and is probably a very good type of switch for that location. As long as that one works right, then everything should be good. It does. The slide stops for the Z switch are very easy to adjust on the Pulsar BTW. No need to remove anything. Only needs an allen wrench.

Sooo, maybe I will get to do some AC cutting soon.
    Lee

Dang. I keep switching topics here, but I did outline them all in the title.

I found this on the F360 forum about the offline mode and the intent of the cloud. It really isn't supposed to make rain like most thought.
    Not sure if you have to be a member to view it, but here goes.
    Fusion 360 offline mode?? - Autodesk Community

Apologies for referencing another forum here, but that is where the information is.
    Lee

Here are a few updates on my machine.

Now that I have found out why a switch was tripping, (pic 1) It seems the X axis switch does work. I adjusted the Z home down where I need it. The home positions are shown in the images below.

Now it will not do a ref all when I hit that button on the main screen. Everything is turned on as it should be. Home positions are where they should be. It will simply not do a ref all for some reason.
    It will ref home individually on the diagnostics page. Then set each axis green in turn.
    I didn't think I was going to get much head scratching things today, but not so fast my friend.
    It will reference Z when I hit ref all though, so that is key I think.
    Maybe this version of Mach 3?
    Dunno. Pulling for Mach 4.

Oh and careful not to bust an oil line or fitting on X. This was the old home position. I backed it off a hair. If you need that travel, you can cut some off the steeper motor mount and it would clear and give you about another 3/8" travel, but better than that would be peace of mind that you won't mash your oil lines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yswitch1.jpg   washdown.jpg   Xhome.jpg  
    Lee

If it won't home, it's probably because one of the switches is active, and you need to manually ensure ALL switches are off before doing RefAll. This is a hazard of setting Home somewhere other than the very end of travel.

Regards,
    Ray L.

They are off when I try to do it. I look at the diagnostics page first. No led's are lit.
    Then it will only home Z and turn it's letter green. The rest stay red.
    I haven't yet restarted the entire system. That's next.
    Lee

Have you checked the button script for RefAll? Perhaps the script only references Z? The problem is something simple....

Regards,
    Ray L.

I haven't checked that yet. Yesterday it would home all when the X axis was turned off in the pins. I designed my own screens for my little mill and the plasma cutter, so I am familiar with those button scripts.

I still contend it may be a BOB issue. Though they are all on one pin in Mach 3, the BOB separates the connections and they are powered switches. I think the Bob handles those independently. May be wrong of course, but you have to remember, this BOB has a switch to switch Z to the A axis for rigid tapping. That is what I always have it set on.

Certainly more involved than my other machines. Rebooting did not correct it.
    I'm going to run a part coded with AC if it is the last thing I do. Maybe....
    Lee

No, the BOB does not "separate" the connections. All three connectors are hard-wired wired in parallel. All three pin 1s are connected together, all three pin 2s are connected together, etc. The rigid tapping switch has no connection to the home switch inputs - it connects only the an input of the MCU.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Yeah, you see, that is the head scratchin stuff I was referring to.

Ray, do you have the Arduino Bob in your Pulsar? John promised me one, but it is apparently still undergoing revision and you can't rush that or else you immediately have another.

I'm not sure how much farther I will go with the trouble shooting. It operates now well enough for me to use code from Fusion 360. Of course it will still use all my standard code until everything is modeled new.
    The journey has merit though. Opened my eyes to a few things that I wasn't aware of and should have been. I have always thought that knowledge can help prevent heartache. Not always the case, but knowledge itself can't hurt much.
    Lee

No, I have the new BOB in the Pro, but not the Pulsar. But the home wiring is exactly the same in all of them. The only really significant change is replacing the PIC with an Arduino.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Page 2 of 3 123