586,857 active members*
3,085 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Flood coolent system for a V2XT

Would anyone have information on where to purchace a Flood coolent system for a V2XT.
    What systems are good and cheep?
    And what coolents are non toxic? because I have the machine in my home.

I don't think good and cheap go together
    As I have found out many times (chair)
    Dennis

The factory flood coolant system consisted of a few parts. There were metal splash guards attached to both sides of the column, there was a metal pan that spanned the table travel that sat on top of the base (later machines had a plastic pan with "wings"), there was a pump in the pan with a cable to a plug on the electrical cabinet, a hose and nozzle with back flow valve and metering valve, and there was a splash guard that caught the coolant flung to the front and sides.
    All this should be shown in the manuals.
    You either have to find this system somewhere or fabricate/assemble it.
    Although I prefer soluble coolant, I would recommend a synthetic for home use. See what MSC, Production Supply Co, or such have and Google the specific coolants for the Material Safety Data Sheets. Read those and make a decision that suits you.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bridgeport-milli...QQcmdZViewItem

Cut and paste the above into your browser. It is a flood coolant pan that will fit your maxhine. The coolant pump should go in the back left corner where the cover is. Ask the seller if this is so and if he has the "wings" that attach to each side.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the responce

The item on ebay is a pan with out pump. It seems to be in good condition/new. Do you know if $95 is a good price?
    What sort of pump should I use with it?

sorry $95 for shipping and $99 is the price

What would be your cost to make something such as this? Time and materials. It is probably worth it but I think the shipping is high. It can probably be freighted to a local depot for a lot less.

George

Does the pump get connected to the outlet of the contol box.
    Can I connect any type pump? as long as it is a 60/50Hz 115 volts?

Yes any 115 VAC pump. But not too big. you did not say if your V2XT has a BMDC or a FMDC. IE: BMDC uses a AUF board with tiny 5 amp fuses that protect that circuit. Your start up curreent cannot exceed that. You can even get one that sits submersed in the coolant. And yes, it plugs into the cabinet.

George

Quote Originally Posted by machintek View Post
    Yes any 115 VAC pump. But not too big. you did not say if your V2XT has a BMDC or a FMDC. IE: BMDC uses a AUF board with tiny 5 amp fuses that protect that circuit. Your start up curreent cannot exceed that. You can even get one that sits submersed in the coolant. And yes, it plugs into the cabinet.

George

Any suggestions on a pump that isn't too big? I just tried setting up a flood coolant system in a 5 gallon bucket on my Dyna Mechtronics CNC lathe like I'm running on my Tormach CNC mill. Except this time, instead of going with a little 180 GPH tile cutting saw pump I decided to try a 1/6 HP sump pump (smallest pump Home Depot had a the time). I think it's supposed to be rated at something crazy like 1750 GPH at 1 foot.

Anyway, looks like the coolant pump circuit on this machine is protected with a 3 amp fuse... So POP it went!!

The funny thing is after reducing the 1" output port of the pump down to the 11-12 mm coolant line running into the mill the flow isn't much greater than the little pump. -- though this reduction is probably what's causing the pump to pull so much current... ?

Thanks!
    Dave

WE use a water soluble coolant called VNT700 from Valenite. It is available dyed or undyed - we use either interchangeably. No problems with smell or with rusting when used as directed.

Several of us have allergies and it does NOT bother us in the slightest. We have it being essentially atomized by an 18" dia grinding wheel running at 1750 rpm. We do have a fan that changes the air in the building to keep mist contamination down when we grind.

For machining as a flood coolant, you should not have anywhere near the misting problems we have providing that you set up shields to contain the coolant flung off the tool as it cuts.

Look at coolant pumps carefully. A bilge or sump pump from Home Depot is designed to pump water up and out of a basements fairly fast - a machine tool coolant pump needs to flood but not to that degree IMO.

It is probably better to use a lower capacity pump that doesn't draw as much current. I'd do that rather than risk toasting the AUF board or a driver on it trying to power something that should be pumping water from your basement than onto a cutting tool.

Afterall, there are flood coolant pumps there are pumps that remove water from FLOODS - I'd contend that they are not the same.

Check out Emco and Grizzly and Grainger as they have smaller flood coolant pumps that you might like better.