586,432 active members*
4,151 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hitachi Seikis > 1985 hitachi ht20 draw tube removal

1985 hitachi ht20 draw tube removal

have just brought this lathe and many years ago somone has put a threaded alloy blanking bung in the drawtube for custom mounting there parts, so no bars can be put up the spindle.

i need to take this out. the guy i brought it from thinks it is held in with a dowel pin or similiar

so what is usually involved in removing the draw tube? i will obviously remove the chuck then i guess it is just removing the drawtube hyd cylinder and the drawtube will come out on the end of the cylinder?

Re: 1985 hitachi ht20 draw tube removal

Yes, but Ive had problems sliding it through before, because its gets built up with gunk near the chuck. Ive had to unbolt the cylinder, and slide it back a little. Theres a lock nut on the draw tube at the cylinder. Loosen that, and then youll be able to unscrew the draw tube from the cylinder. Then I pulled it forward and clean it, so it would slide trough easier. Its really not that difficult. The cylinder has a little weight to it though. I wouldnt want to do it without a helper.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy74 View Post
    Yes, but Ive had problems sliding it through before, because its gets built up with gunk near the chuck. Ive had to unbolt the cylinder, and slide it back a little. Theres a lock nut on the draw tube at the cylinder. Loosen that, and then youll be able to unscrew the draw tube from the cylinder. Then I pulled it forward and clean it, so it would slide trough easier. Its really not that difficult. The cylinder has a little weight to it though. I wouldnt want to do it without a helper.
    Thanks for the info worked out great