586,398 active members*
3,127 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Building the ultimate enclosure for my Novakon pro mill

Building the ultimate enclosure for my Novakon pro mill

Ok while I am waiting for my new pro and upgraded base I want to ask you all about what features I should include in an enclosure.
    Lets Brain-storm, get creative and have a little fun with this.
    Things like Height, type of access from front, is side access important? if so what kind, How important is and how much visibility should there be? How thick do you think the Polycarbonate would need to be?
    I want to make it from sheet metal most likely 18 or 16 Gauge or a little of both and lexan. I would like to remove each side independent of the other in a matter of minuets for maintenance and cleanup and ATC loading etc.
    Paint or powder coat?
    Any and all ideas are welcome.
    I want to attempt to build an enclosure that looks professionally built , is strong and functional while keeping my cost reasonable. Yes the ultimate Novakon enclosure.
    Thanks
    Ray Mc

Re: Building the ultimate enclosure for my Novakon pro mill

If you want really good containment, the enclosure should be at least 4 feet tall, when using flood coolant. Even then, some will find it's way over the ends, especially when face-milling. For doors, I recommend sliding doors, rather than bi-fold, and strongly urge against an up-opening door, unless you like getting wet. You can easily make two doors, each 2 feet wide, which gives plenty of access for setting up and cleaning up. Doors on the ends will only be useful if you need to do parts that are too long to fit into the enclosure. In most cases, I suggest skipping that. A complete all-metal and Plexi enclosure will cost you upwards of $500 and take at least several days to build. I used Coroplast and a few pieces of 1x1 lumber for mine, and it cost under $50, and took less than 3 hours to build. I initially used a shower curtain to close the opening, and added two top-hung, sliding Lexan doors a few months later. Nice thing is, if I need to remove it to work on the machine, it only takes about 5 minutes to remove it and another 5 minutes to re-install it. It's all documented in my thread.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Re: Building the ultimate enclosure for my Novakon pro mill

If you are wanting to build the ultimate, Then Ray is right. It will cost you, however it would last.
    A few things I would like to change about mine. I did build it a little short. A few more inches tall would have helped contain more coolant, so Ray's suggestion there is valid. I used 1/8" thick fiberglass panels in mine except for the doors. I would rather have at least one end transparent. The end facing away from the wall. Maybe even that rear side as well. Then I could watch the machine from anywhere in the shop. Of course most of the time I can hear it, but if other machines are running, the mill isn't as loud. Like one of the routers, table saw, grinder etc. I will eventually put some windows in those panels. Portals probably describes what I have in mind better.

On my doors, I like that they are simple sliding doors. They get completely out of the way. The drawer slides they ride on are completely covered as well. I do not have nor do I think you even need a bottom door track. The polycarbonate panels are plenty heavy enough to stay in place with gravity.

If you are wanting to be able to remove panels at will quickly, then that will complicate the design some.
    There are probably a lot of ways to accomplish it. Keeping the coolant completely out of those seams especially during wash downs will be the most challenging I think.
    Lee