Hi all, just thought I would share some thoughts and observations on the cheap single axis TB6560 driver board available on ebay and elsewhere. So why one of these:
  • Established tecnology - the TB6560 has been round a while and is geneerally reliable when used within spec.
  • Why only 1? - using single axis boards means that it is easy and quick to do a swap should a failure occur. - just have a spare or two.
  • Cost - less than $10 each including postage!

First impressions. Just got it today so unpackaged and had a good look. Board and overall component placing looks OK so I grabbed a magnifying glass for a closer look - UGHH!!!. Some of the leads on the TB6560 aren't even soldered properly! Also visible are a number of small solder dags which need removal. Overall a bit disappointing but not really that surprising at this price - all easily fixed.
The design itself also bears mention:
  • Strait from the manufacturers application note. Even has proper isolation on inputs unlike some of the multi axis boards available
  • Onboard 5V regulator makes for convenience but limits operation to 24V NOT the 35V specified
  • No fuse or other protection for the TB6560 :tired:
  • Timing capacitor has no value written on it - may be OK but may not be
  • Heatsink is connected to ground - just be carefull.

Love to hear other people thouglts on these boards.
Will post some ideas and solutions when I get around to it