586,460 active members*
3,253 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Super Spacer 4th axis

Hi All.

I gather the Super Spacers are fairly recent additions to Tormachs 4th axis options, so thought I would post a quick video of mine.

What attracted me was the larger diameter hole through the centre, and quite rugged looking proportions. I opted for the 6", which is the lower than the 8" - for better rigidity on a light mill.

Cheers, Keen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jq0JsWd2zs

Re: Super Spacer 4th axis

Great video, thanks for sharing. I watched with great interest. I have done a considerable amount of 4th axis and one thing I would change is, when you rotate your fixture, start the second side from the same end where you finished the first side. You'll only save a few seconds in transition from end to end, but if you're running enough parts, seconds could turn into hours.

When you finish with one tool, don't rapid back to position number one, start your second tool at position number 4.

I assume you are using G54, G55, G56 and G57.

If that's the case, start tool 1 at G54, tool 2 at G57, tool 3 at G54, tool 4 at G57 and so on down the line.

It takes a little extra editing, but you'll soon see it was woryh the extra time.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Thanks for posting this. For some reason the super spacer was available but I just didn't know much about it when I ordered my 8" tilting 4th. Having to do it over I might get the SS one

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Hi All.

I gather the Super Spacers are fairly recent additions to Tormachs 4th axis options, so thought I would post a quick video of mine.

What attracted me was the larger diameter hole through the centre, and quite rugged looking proportions. I opted for the 6", which is the lower than the 8" - for better rigidity on a light mill.

Cheers, Keen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jq0JsWd2zs

Looks like a pretty slick option. Great point on keeping up with the lubrication too! Do you have an additional strap clamp or hold down bolt on the chuck side of your 4th that isn't visible?

Nice, thanks for the video.

One of the other nice things about the super spacer is you an mount it on the right hand side, and avoid a fight between ATC and 4th axis.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

[QUOTE=Steve Seebold;1605822]Great video, thanks for sharing. I watched with great interest. I have done a considerable amount of 4th axis and one thing I would change is, when you rotate your fixture, start the second side from the same end where you finished the first side. You'll only save a few seconds in transition from end to end, but if you're running enough parts, seconds could turn into hours.

When you finish with one tool, don't rapid back to position number one, start your second tool at position number 4.

I assume you are using G54, G55, G56 and G57.

Hi Steve - I just copied the CAM produced code x4 and added A90, A180 etc at the start of each block. I use bobcadcam and don't much code writing.
    Do you mean a plunge cut instead of returning each time? If so I would get reverse tool flex which might keyhole that end and shift the slots slightly.

I need to start using M98 etc to save copying though!

Cheers, Keen

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    Looks like a pretty slick option. Great point on keeping up with the lubrication too! Do you have an additional strap clamp or hold down bolt on the chuck side of your 4th that isn't visible?
    Hi - Yeah there is just room in the front middle slot under the face plate for a thinned down hex head bolt into a T nut.

Keen