586,318 active members*
3,746 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mirror alignment assist device

Laser cutter calibration assistant by i-make-robots - Thingiverse

I made this for you, laser cutter fans. Instead of the hours of back & forth, I am now able to calibrate the mirrors on a new machine in about 15 minutes.
    I hope it helps!
    http://marginallyclevergroup.com/ - laser cutting, 3D printing, robot making, and more.

Nice joke :-)
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

What joke? It works.
    http://marginallyclevergroup.com/ - laser cutting, 3D printing, robot making, and more.

What Cine is getting at in his usual haphazard manner I would think is that will align the laser to the output coupler only, the alignment is actually a product of the entire optical train from spot to rear total reflector. It also assumes the diode in the pointer is both parallel and level with the base (very unusual for a diode laser).

Nice idea but sadly unworkable to get any kind of accuracy.

cheers

Dave

Well then he's wrong. I fire the laser once to mark a hole in a piece of paper near each mirror. then I align the diode laser to pass through said holes - that way the diode matches the CO2 beam. Then I take away the paper and adjust the mirrors while the diode beam is on - none of this adjust, close machine, test fire, open, check, adjust, repeat repeat repeat business. It worked great and when I get my next machine I'll make a video to demonstrate.

:-)
    Dear Friend. You fire the laser once to mark a hole.
    I`ve built about 50 - 60 laser machines in my life.
    From small like 600x400mm to 1600x6000mm.
    And more than 150 3D printers during last 20 months.
    What are you going to talk with me about?
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

then I align the diode laser to pass through said holes
    Effectively aligning the visible diode in much the same way as many align the original burn spot then? You may find a Green (532nm) will be a better option as the beam is easily visible in even a light room.

hen I align the diode laser to pass through said holes - that way the diode matches the CO2 beam
    Bit of a problem, even a rubbish laser pointer will have a beam orders of magnitude smaller than the output from a CO2 tube, Raw emergent beams are between 4 and 8mm in size. A beam combiner may be a better option (although I don't like them much).

best wishes

Dave

Thanks, Dave! Today I learned

Hiya IMR,

Even a puff of cigarette smoke makes green beams stand out in an amazing way in a darkened laser cabinet you can see them easily without any kind of smoke. Something around <5mW would be pretty safe. With a simple lens you could expand a green beam to nearly match the size of the CO2's raw beam.

best wishes

Dave

Re: Mirror alignment assist device

I am still trying to understand why this isn't supposed to work. Granted the beams are a different size but my laser makes a small easy to spot center dot (40 watt 700mm, actual 25? watt tube) on paper starting at the first mirror. If the pointer laser is set up to follow the three misaligned mirrors the same as the co2 beam then why wouldn't it be legitimate for at least close rough alignment? The burning paper thing works and final checks should use that technique but particularly for beginners I would see this as a safer alternative with less wear and tear on the mirrors? It takes a while to instinctively turn the screws the correct way. The mirrors get scorched or scratched from the constant cleaning and the beam gets adjusted to parts unknown with a turn the wrong way. Enlighten me please?