586,477 active members*
3,755 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Threadmilling - 7/8-14 Hole

Smarta$$ doesn't always translate well to text, but I was typing with a smile =D

Brian
    WOT Designs

Even GWizard can't accurately measure tool flex, stock flex and machine backlash.... So if YOU can.. awesome. More power to ya'

Edit: Posted, and refreshed, Brian made some great comments!

This forum is beyond help. It's a great shame, but there are just too many children here.

Ray what is the trick to use this file, have not been able to get it into hsmXpress?

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    No tricks really. Youll likely find you need to do a few test cuts to sneak up on the final dimension if you want a really precise fit. But, otherwise, HSMXpress makes it really painless. The .TXT file below contains my HSMXpress tool definition for the 0.372" threadmill in .CSV format. You can import it into Excel, then cut/paste it into the HSMXpress or Fusion tool library.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by dneisler View Post
    Ray what is the trick to use this file, have not been able to get it into hsmXpress?
    Import it into Excel as a .CSV file. Then select the one line of parameters, copy it to the clipboard, open the HSMXpress tool library editor, and paste it in.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Ahhh, I would have never thought of that. I will give it a try. Thanks.
    Donald

I think I seen a YouTube video on that, or someone in the HSM forum talked about it.

Quote Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post
    The Lakeshore carbide ones don't. The end has a small flat I assumed was standard on these. Won't be ordering theirs again. I did basically what u said. I programmed for the correct size knowing the flat would cause underside then offset the wear value to get a good thread. PITA having to check the thread over and over.

What's interesting is their pictures online show it coming to a point but the actual tool had very (VERY) small flats as if they didn't want them to chip off.

Brian
    WOT Designs
    60 degree threads don't come to a sharp point. An internal thread has a pitch/8 wide flat (ideally rounded) at the base. The flat should actually get you closer to a correct thread within its side range though if it was ground too wide, it might cause grief with the finer pitches.

bob

Just an FYI, if you have tools setup and defined in SW and HSMXpress, the same tool library is used by Fusion 360.
    Lee

Page 2 of 2 12