586,898 active members*
2,675 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Steppers suddenly lost torque

Steppers suddenly lost torque

I was cutting a piece and started losing steps. When I started checking the machine I noticed I could move x and y with not that much force. The motors still run, but when I add resistance they have no power to keep moving. The Z motor seems to be unaffected as far as i can tell, so I connected one of the other motors to its driver to rule those out, but same thing, no holding power and able to stop it with little resistance. I had the current on the X and Y set to 2 amps. They would heat up, not that much, but since I would sometimes have long cut times I moved them down to 1.5 amps and they still had enough torque. I've checked the power and everything seems fine at least for the Z motor and the drivers. The x and y are belt driven, so i checked the pulley to make sure it wasn't loose, has happened before, everything good. The only other thing I can think to try is moving the Z motor to one of the belts and see what happens. The motors are 280oz 8 wire 3 amps bipolar/unipolar nema23 with a 24v power supply. Hopefully they haven't gone bad already.

Thanks for any advice

Re: Steppers suddenly lost torque

well the z motor also moves with minimal effort, so something else seems to be going on. I checked the power supply again, had recently connected it to an on/off switch, but disconnect that and tried it directly. still no change.

Re: Steppers suddenly lost torque

i guess i fixed it, just user error(maybe?). i was sure i had more torque before, i was never able to move the machine by hand when it was powered. my rpms were set to 1 on my ridgid and my feeds were set to high for it, so i upped my rpms and it seems to cutting ok again. The weird thing is it was cutting fine before those changes and like i said i was never able to move the machine by hand. I guess for now this will have to do.