586,094 active members*
3,807 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Coolant leak 3016 NEED HELP!

Coolant leak 3016 NEED HELP!

I have a 2002 reman 3016 with through spindle coolant, standard coolant and it was previously fitted with a pallet changer that has now been removed. I bought the machine used a few months back and its now leaking coolant (cutting fluid) in the center of the main casting about under the tower area. I checked the plumbing going up to the head and all seems to be good. Checked around all the areas where the sheet metal contacts the casting and the caulk appears in good shape. I have cleaned out under the way covers and the y axis valley. The machine was very dirty when I started and suffered from some lack of maintenance such as cover screws missing and spindle chiller pump not working, etc...
    Please give me some ideas what or where I should be looking. I am dealing with the problem using PIG mats and a mop for now. I am going NutZZZZ!!!!
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm-Sir Winston Churchill

Post Re: Coolant leak 3016 NEED HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by naytep View Post
    I have a 2002 reman 3016 with through spindle coolant, standard coolant and it was previously fitted with a pallet changer that has now been removed. I bought the machine used a few months back and its now leaking coolant (cutting fluid) in the center of the main casting about under the tower area. I checked the plumbing going up to the head and all seems to be good. Checked around all the areas where the sheet metal contacts the casting and the caulk appears in good shape. I have cleaned out under the way covers and the y axis valley. The machine was very dirty when I started and suffered from some lack of maintenance such as cover screws missing and spindle chiller pump not working, etc...
    Please give me some ideas what or where I should be looking. I am dealing with the problem using PIG mats and a mop for now. I am going NutZZZZ!!!!
    Hey Im new to posting but here goes. Had a similar problem with my 4020 and after resealing around casting leak was stopped. I used Ultra Black RTV and it seams to holdup.
    The existing caulk look good but was still leaking.. Took me a while to get it sealed up and I temporarily installed a sheetmetal angle iron bent over 90 degrees to the back of the casting on a slight angle so as to catch all drippings all the way across the casting face and channel them over to drip back into one of the coolant return trays. Seal with RTV to casting.