586,477 active members*
3,527 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Double station vises on Tormach PCNC1100
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Double station vises on Tormach PCNC1100

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    Can you see the tape there? That tape is the secret Cell phone vid below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jM1...IaPXAlFaHN5NgA
    I figured you must have something in there with some compliance. I usually use a strip of wood or plastic (usually UHMW) to do the same thing.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Yep, I've now done around 5000 parts like this with probably only 5 bad parts, and it was due to the part being crazy undersize (My lathe servo encoder was bad, new one will be here Tuesday), or I didn't get chips blown out, or an endmill had broke in the part. 3000 of those parts were Grade 5 Titanium, the other 2000 were copper or Brass. The hole was .250" OD and .270" deep. (that was all for my TiMaG project) and when facing (like the first video) there is way less torque on the part so don't think you would even have one bad part doing that.

Not saying I know much, but honestly sit down and watch my YoutTube channel instead of watching TV some night. I have made many completely different types of parts, and all in production. Many people run the same product over and over, but not me. So I'm always learning and sharing what I have learned.

The only thing I don't know that I need to know and want to know, is how Grimsmo in this video does his probing and have it add that to the code so EACH part is center. G59P## or something, gotta look that one up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYc5...mzTIa2Usn6fexQ

Yes, the Brad he laughs at in the vid is me, lol I always give him crap about his rust.

Finished up last night. Tumbled today. All finished and shiny.

Very happy with these little vises. I did the math last night and I should be able to squeeze one more onto the tormach so I'll be ordering a 4th one soon.

Attachment 258158

Brian
    WOT Designs

Nice! I got my 4th a couple weeks ago, haven't had time to play with it, and now this week I get my speeder!

Nice setup Brian.

Are your parts steel? If so are you using a magnet to unload the fixtures? You could probably save some time there.

As well you could make speed loaders for the vises. Basic idea, a U shaped channel with an inverted L shape on the end to control how the parts drop out. Something like a gravity fed Pez dispenser. Drag it across the fixture and the parts drop ino the slots.

Aluminum mig wire or electric fencing wire is also good to equalise clamping forces. I think it would clamp a bit more securely than the tape method but is more finnicky. I would try the tape first though.

bob

These parts are 7075 so magnets won't help these, but that's a great idea for other set up. I've surfaced 8000 or so and with them 19 wide in some of the fixtures I've had such a low pull out rate it hasn't been worth worrying about. I've ruined probably $1.50 worth of parts out of 8,000. Tough to amortize any solution to prevent it.

As far as unloading the fixture all I do I open the vise, hold a 1/2" aluminum angle in between the jaws and push on the top clamp and all the parts fall into the aluminum angle then dump into a tub.

Brian
    WOT Designs

Page 2 of 2 12