587,035 active members*
2,954 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Squaring up the Tormach spindle solves a few issues

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Squaring up the Tormach spindle solves a few issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMWYJPgiazg

Issues Solved
    *Runout of TTS Tooling
    *Depending on how much you take off, more surface area for the R8 collet to grip the TTS Shank (less pull out)
    *More repeatability in tool length if you have an ATC (does yours have rust on the face)

Recently had a friend with a Tormach who was doing work for me have a few issues making my parts. He ended up cleaning up the spindle face and all the problems went away.

Re: Squaring up the Tormach spindle solves a few issues

Hi BAMCNC

Did you indicate the bottom surface to see how much the error was? Must have run out a bit.

My number one machine delivered 2007 has about 0.005mm run out - always been meaning to machine it but the errors are so tiny I have not got around to it yet.

I have checked my new 1100 and is very true as delivered - maybe the have the issue sorted now?

cheers. Keen

Bam - how old is your mill? I just did the same thing on my S/N 119 mill (early series 1 PCNC 1100) and it did seem to help a little with cutter runout though extensive tests haven't been done yet.

Didn't the S1 machines come out several years before TTS? If so, they may not have bothered to square up the spindle nose.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Didn't the S1 machines come out several years before TTS? If so, they may not have bothered to square up the spindle nose.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Nope, I got a machine from the first production batch and had the TTS CNC kit in-hand a few weeks before the mill showed, I believe. They didn't have lots of other things back then - like a stand though.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post

Regards,
    Ray L.
    As Dave said, TTS was part of the original design spec. In my case there didn't seem to be any significant problem with runout on the face of the spindle but I touched it up with a carbide insert lathe bit just in case. There was some improvement after the touchup so maybe I had somehow dinged the spindle nose in a place that the indicator tip didn't touch.

Mike

Did he Dame for my X3. Terrible repeatability then realized it was runout. Lathe "turned" the nose and it fixed it in an hour

Brian
    WOT Designs

This is one of those small things that *may* not do anything, but it also can't hurt - it can only help.

Fun Video. My take away is that Tormach mills are made so tough that they piss fire at anything that tries to harm them.....
    Seriously though it is yet another check box item to potentially getting more out of your investment. Good find.

I did the same on my home made mill several years ago. I didn't get quite the light show though.

I would sometimes have to tap on the drawbar to release the tools prior to truing up the spindle nose. Afterward, the TTS tooling just fell out like it should and gave better surface finish. Definitely worth checking.
    Lee

Yeah it was pretty neat in person, sorry for my terrible camera work that time!