586,268 active members*
4,542 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Viper Servo drives > Problems connecting to viper 200 drive
Page 1 of 2 12

Hybrid View

Problems connecting to viper 200 drive

My flame table has been working for several years using the Viper 200 drives, I needed to change out some Thompson dura true gear heads, so I need to re tune the drives.

The problem is I cant get them to connect to my laptop. This is the same laptop I used to program the drives 2-3 years ago. I am also using the same USB to serial converter. I have also tried another laptop, and a second USB to serial adapter.

I was looking through the manual, and found the part about the jumper setting. Do I need to install a jumper on the 1st pin settings? I cant remember.

any Ideas?

I need to get this working, I have some plate to cut.

Thanks

Steve

Re: Problems connecting to viper 200 drive

The jumpers don't have anything to do with the serial connection. Check that the 5 pin connector pins havn't got dirty .,maybe wipe them with some alcohol.
    I think you have the V200F so It is probably 38400 baud.

Larry

I finally gave up on trying to get my laptops to work with tuning the drives.

I connected to a serial port using my desk top, and it works. I can read , write, and exercise the drives.

I tried to download the manual to tune the drives from the website, but it was not working.

I am using 850 in oz servos that are connected to 5 to 1 dura true gearboxes. Any suggestion on where to start on the tuning?

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the same motor on our 4'x 8' router but the tuning is a bit different since i'm using a timingbelt reduction and not a gearhead.
    But bank 3 is pre-programmed for that motor.

P575
    I4
    D 975
    L4
    R450
    F500

I'm running 45 volts so depending on what PS voltage you are running you will need to change the P and D settings (reduce for higher voltage)

What tuning were you running ?

Larry

Larry, I am running 80 volts.

I was using a 30 to 1 gearhead, but it had too much torque. That is why I changed.

I worked on the flame table for about an hour today. I was happy that I could read out the setting, and exercise the drives. I could not play with it too long, I had to go to my day job.

I will try it tomorrow.

How much should I reduce the p and d?

Thanks

Steve

Larry-

I installed the parameters that you suggested.

Now on the x axis (2 servos x and a) when I try to move the the axis it faults. The error led flashes 4 times (low voltages). The other drive is fine.

I switched the incoming voltage (80.0 volts). Just to rule that out.

My gantry is heavy, but it moves easily.

Any suggestion?

Steve

Hmm, did it work before on the machine with the same powersupply ?

Does it produce the 4 error right away ? or when you try to move it. Are you sure its flashing a consistant 4 flashes over and over ?

Try switching the drive to a different axis to see it the problem follows

Larry

Larry, I have always had problems with the x-a axis.

The x-a axis was working kinda before I switched out the gearheads. I went from 30 to 1 to the 5 to 1.

I have the jumper set to bank 1.

Tomorrow I will switch the x and a drives and let you know what happens

Steve

It flashes the 4 code when I try to move it. After about 3-5 inches of movement or when I change direction it faults.

When I use the viper tune should the current setting be 30 or 153 ?

Larry-

I finally got some free time and I swapped the drive. Here is what I did.

1st switched the output and encoder cable. Tried to move and faulted. 4 flashes

2nd. Switched incoming 80 Vdc. Also faulted. 4 flashes

Could a setting cause this or is the drive bad?

Steve

A low voltage fault (4 flashes) happens if the drive see's under 65 volts.
    Is it a switching PS or linear ? Was it running before with the same PS ?

A setting shouldn't cause 4 flashes. Does the drive hold, when fault when you try to move ?

Larry

Larry

The power supply is a linear power supply. The table was running, and just started faulting. At first I thought the gear box was bad. I changed the gearheads. That is when I noticed the flashing faults.

I will have to check to see if it holds when faulted. Can I send you the drive for repair, or do I need to buy a new one?

Steve

Larry-

I installed the repaired drive today and it is working.

I am still having issues that you might be able to help me with.

The other x axis drive is still faulting. I am getting multiple LED error codes. It just depends how much I screw with it and the settings I use. The codes are 5,6,7 flashes.

Here is what is happening--

if I dis engage the bad servo from the rack and have it spinning freely, and only the one side driving the gantry, it moves up and down the table with ease. Gantry sways back and forth, but that is because it is being driven from only 1 side.

At this time, I am watching the dis engaged pinion spin and it is very jumpy.

The servo is connected to a duratrue gearhead, so I removed the servo from the gearhead.

With the servo just spinning by itself, it is still jumpy. I put a mark on the case and aligned it with the keyway. This is at 11 o'clock when you look at it.

when the servo turns counter clockwise it is very smooth and steady until it get to about 7 o'clock. Once it gets to 7'oclock it violently and rapidly spins to the start at 11 o'clock position.

It then oscillates a few times, then continues to the 7 o'clock position where it continues again.

with the power turned off the servo spins freely and evenly. With the power on, it locked in one position, but I can force it to move.

any ideas?

Steve

Larry-

I was able to work on the drive for a few minutes today. I swapped the X and A axis. The servo motor was still acting the same.

I swapped everything back, and then removed the cover to the US Digital E-5 encoder. The disk was covered in a whitish grey powder. I took the encoder apart, and wiped the disk with alcohol. It helped, but it is still skipping. I think I have a new encoder I am going to install sometime this weekend.

I am going to look for a sealed encoder, do you have any recommendations on maker or model #

thanks

Steve

So just 1 drive is giving problems, and you swapped the drive and the problem followed the drive ?

Your sure its 4 flashes and not 5 eh? If its 5 then it could be an encoder noise problem.

(no it won't hold if its faulted, i meant before it faults )

Yes if you think its a bad drive and the other one works in its place, then send it back (always by mail, not courier)

Larry

Larry
    The problem followed the drive.

I had my wife ship the drive to you. You should have it in a few days

Steve

Larry
    Did my servo get to you?

Steve

Yes, i got it on thursday.

Hmm... did you realize the the fuse was blown ? ( Thats why it showed 4 flashes. )
    I put a new fuse and it works ok.

Was this drive also tripping out easy ? The overcurrent seems sensitive, i will check that out.

Larry

No . I never checked the fuse. I thought that since it had power on the LEDs the fuse was good. If no LEDs would illuminate the I would have checked the fuse.

The tripping out is one of the main problems.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Scrambled1 View Post
    No . I never checked the fuse. I thought that since it had power on the LEDs the fuse was good. If no LEDs would illuminate the I would have checked the fuse.
    The tripping out is one of the main problems.
    The drive has 2 sides. The main power and control side are opto isolated. ( This lets the RS232 and Encoder grounds have no connection to the 170 volt for safety. )
    The control side with the Led's is powered by the 15 volt and isn't fused. The main Highpower side is the fused side, and has no led's. The 4 flashes (under voltage) indicates that there is no voltage or low voltage on the main side.

Larry

Page 1 of 2 12